Borderline hypothyroid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, In January I had blood tests and I was told my thyroid was borderline under active and needed another blood test in 8 weeks. I wasn’t given any information ( nor did I ask).  I googled it to find out more, I am always cold, I definitely feel the cold more than others. I am also very tired and lethargic all the time, no energy or motivation. The confusing thing is that in the last few months I have lost weight, my GP checks my weight as I am near the lower end of my BMI. So this means I can’t be hypothyroid right? As the main symptom is weight gain? I’m confused. I had bloods done last Thursday so hopefully they will come back normal and I can stop worrying. Sorry for the long message but I’ve read some not so good things about the meds for hypothyroidism so I am feeling anxious. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you are hypothyroid. Get your results and post them here. Don’t believe everything you read about the medication. For most of us it works.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply and advice.   I will deffo post them here when I get them.
  • Posted

You’re freezing, you’re “borderline”, any hairloss? 

Hypothyroid disease is extremely underdiagnosed, as the treatment is often worse than the disease and docs don’t keep up with current standards. If your TSH is over 3, you are hypothyroid. Some people can have advanced thyroid disease and never catch the TSH as high, yet clearly have advanced hypothyroid disease. Eventually, the body stops overproducing TSH... 

So diagnosis is often elusive, and thyroid patients can suffer for decades without diagnosis or treatment. 

If you feel you’re hypothyroid, you likely are. And winter cold temperatures generally are more difficult for thyroid patients.

Having come full circle, I can tell you that the whole cycle of thyroid treatment is no different than what you’ve already experienced. Little to no information, monitoring, waiting, more tests... eventually you get the diagnosis, followed by medication, more waiting, monitoring, etc. it’s ridiculous!

The medications have extensive side effects and are not the same as your own thyroxin, so they don’t work properly. The higher the dose, the worse the side effects. 

There are many non prescription supplements and dietary changes that are extremely helpful- more so than medication. If you’re able to let go of the “quick fix” mentality and research things on your own, you’ll be better off. 

If you want an earful on the meds- try the levothyroxin group here and see what people say about side effects. 

For supplements, try essential amino acid complex, phenylalanine. Also, ThyroGold is a non prescription thyroid replacement, if you’re desperate, but this takes some doing to dose properly and if your thyroid disease isn’t advanced, you’re better off with the other supplements first. 

Also, thyroid disease is autoimmune, and meds do nothing to treat autoimmune disease, which is caused by exposure chemicals, radiation, microbial infections, as well as prolonged stress. Cleansing is key in reversing autoimmune disease, as is  gut health. 

Instead of spinning around with a million tests and useless treatment, you’re better off solving it yourself if you can. Ask the many patients on this site when you aren’t sure. We’re all happy to help save others from the nightmare of thyroid hell we’ve been through. 

There are many resources out there as thyroid disease is epidemic. You are not alone!

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have no hair loss so with not having that common Symptom and not putting  on weight makes me think I’m not hypothyroid. Maybe I’m just really nesh and the tiredness/ lack of energy is due to my medication for anxiety and depression which I was diagnosed with last Dec. Thank you so much for the advice re meds although I am hoping I won’t need to use it as really hoping results come back normal.  
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression before hypothyroidism. My tsh finally hit 5.0 so they decided to treat makes me wonder if I ever needed the anxiety meds in the first place since it is a common sign of thyroid problems. I was just put on meds for thyroid hopefully I can get off these other meds for anxietyy and depression. I am always tired, cholesterol has been going up and and generally feel unwell. I am 34 male and living in the us! 
    • Posted

Hi, I hope the thyroid meds work for you and you are able to come off your other medication. I had lots of blood tests done in January and all came  back fine except the borderline underactive thyroid test. I was tested again last Thursday and I had a letter this morning asking me to make an appointment with my GP to discuss results . My cholesterol was fine when tested in January. I will post results when I get them. ( I have everything crossed the test is normal ) 
  • Posted

I have been on Levothyroxine for close to forty years. It gave me my life back and I never experienced any side effects. It’s not working as well as it used to, so I often feel tired, but in my experience it worked for me. So please use my experience to balance less favourable opinions expressed by others. I have tried quite a few of the alternative   treatments you may find advocated here, but none of them worked.

So if your physician diagnoses you hypothyroid and prescribes Levothyroxine, my advice would be to try it, and bear in mind that it can take several weeks to work, and possibly months to get the dosage right.

• Posted

Hello, I was reading your forum I would like to know some things. I feel very cold, I get headaches, I feel weak, no energy, I feel tired, I lose in work. so please let me know if these are the symptoms of hypothyroid so please in detail can you explain me.
    • Posted

Yes these are symptoms. See your physician and get a blood test. It’s called the TSH test. Get the result, start your own discussion here and post it. Then we can be more help. Good luck!
    • Posted

I’m sorry I can’t help as I’m new to all this but people like David have lots of knowledge and advice. I have similar symptoms as you, I had the TSH blood test last Thursday and seeing my GP for results next week. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Thank you, i will do the blood test. I will be back with my results

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.