Borderline low lying cerebellar tonsils

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently had an MRI for loss of smell and the results showed borderline low lying cerebellar tonsils at 4mm. Doctor says this is fine and were present in an MRI I had 12 years ago. This was never mentioned to me before and probably wouldn't have been this time but I read the report. Is this normal or should I see a neurologist? I'm not sure what to do.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey I had MRI in 2013 was at a 5mm had another in Feb 17 because my symptoms were getting worse it it was at 15mm I had surgery July I think it is based on a lot of different symptoms I am 53 he said I was a great candidate for the surgery got a second opinion and was told the sooner the better had my symptoms not keeping worse and it not gotten so much larger in 3 years I would not have done it. Was a very tough surgery I am just going back to work Monday. They may want to just keep monitoring it but I think seeing a ns is a good idea they are the experts on them. Good luck 

Diana

• Posted

Hi Stacy. I will see a neurosugeon on Oct 5. Apparently i had a 5mm, which is considered mild, on my MRI. It was there in 2013 too. Nothing has changed but my symptoms. I lost my sense of taste and smell 3 years ago and i just chalked it up to nerve damage do to cspine fusion in 2011. I only learned of my CM in June of this year. My ex neurosurgeon said nothing changed so it shouldnt bee aan issue, hence thats why he is my ex. Everything has spuraaled out of control in the last 6mos. I have no quality of life. If i had to pick the worst thing for me right now, it would be the feeling of free falling backwards. I have to hold on to counters and such. So symptoms are everything, the size of your CM means nothing. Hopefully this surgeon will be on board, if not im traveling 2 hours to the CM institute and see a real doctor. That would be unfortunate as i am at  y wits end now. Hope this helped answer your question

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.