Borderline personality disorder

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi,

so I came on here 9 months ago thinking my husband might have manic depression. He has been being assessed over the last 9 months and today got a diagnosis of BPD.

he will be starting a 3 year treatment plan of therapy in the next month.

i have so many misconceptions about this disorder, I feel scared and have been wondering whether I should call our marriage out. 

But I don't want to do that just because I'm feeling scared.

i guess I want to know people's journey with this disorder. I have been reading a few things that suggest an individual can completely recover from this. Is that true?

sorry for my ignorance or affected. I do not mean to. I just don't know where to start

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi micky.

I can understand your concerns. Bpd's are given very bad press. I read a man once telling people to avoid girls who have bpd because they are nasty. Every single person suffering with this horrible mental health issue is individual. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago, I can see now it's been going on a lot longer.

2 yrs ago I couldn't leave the house, I was always displaying my emotions physically and just generally really struggled to do anything. I don't get violent towards ppl, I don't use ppl, I don't manipulate, instead I take all my emotions out on myself.

I've been with local mental health team for 2 yrs, social worker weekly, family therapy, reablement and I'm next on list for psychology.

I now attend craft classes, see my friends more and generally do stuff. I still have my limits though but I make the most of what I can. All that in 2 yrs! some may think that's a long time to get to some sort of level but I think it's amazing! I'm on a lot of meds which suit me..no nasty side effects.

I would have not got to where I am now if it wasn't for my family. I still have a long way to go as my main focus is getting better for my family not for myself....cudnt give a beep about myself.

Seriously my family deserve a medal for the support they have given me.

But....you are living your life for you! I know it's easy to say but don't let the guilt of letting him down, making him worse, or even if he threatens to finish it if you leave him be the reason that you stay.

sorry for all the gabble xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.