Borderline Personality Disorder, long term DBT therapy, feel Im not getting better.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been in therapy for so long with several mental Diagnosis (Anxiety, Major Depressive Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, BPD). I'm currently in intensive DBT therapy, and I find it complex (Mindfulness, Radical acceptance, etc). I feel I am not getting better. I have also had CBT and numerous LISA's. I cannot afford a Psychologist. I am getting discouraged at my lack of progress. Does anyone else feel like this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, why don't you try cognitive behavioral therapy instead? I have bipolar and bpd and that really helped me when I went to the personality disorder clinic.  Are you going to groups? Are you eligible for state funded insurance?  Are you seeing a psychiatrist too? Meds? I know it's hard...Goodness knows I do. It's extremely difficult to live with these disorders. As long as you keep taking care of yourself (good food, rest, no drugs or alcohol, have positive, loving people around you, stay productive, go to therapy/take meds as prescribed, you should see a positive change in your life. I wish you the best of luck! Keep taking good care of yourself and working towards healthsmile

• Posted

Yes, I'm on Wellbutrin 300 XL, Remeron, Topamax for emotion regulation, Trazadone for sleep, Klonopin, Busphar. I see a Pychiatrust, Case manager and therapist. Did CBT for many years which helped a little for major depressive disorder. I go to a subsidized clinic. All my care is free. I am 55, disabled and only have Medicare.

• Posted

Unfortunately, I don't have family. No support system and no loving people in my life. I have no children. I no longer have a car. The only thing that keeps me going is volunteering at an animal rescue sanctuary, that I walk too.

• Posted

Wow, that is beautiful that you are working with animals! Pet therapy is a wonderful and healing thing! I volunteer in a cat shelter sometimes and take care of 13 cats! Are there any non profit psychiatric organizations that could help you to get a psychologist/psychotherapist  in your area? Some clinics have sliding scale fees... it's great that you have Medicare. You could also apply for SSI benefits. Just make sure you have a good lawyer! Going about it alone is definitely not recommended...been there! If you could, TRY and focus on getting a good support system. Good people matter and loyal friends will help you through the hard times in life. I don't know what I'd do without my friends/acquaintances! Google some groups that you could join in your area. Then you would enjoy a full social life! Discover what hobbies you enjoy, and go for them too! Stay busy and I think you'll be much happiersmile Take good care!

• Posted

Yes, I feed about 10-20 cats around here. I love animals. Transportation is a huge issue, as I live in a small city. I am in a 12 step program, but there are no face to face meetings. I do phone support groups. To be quite honest, Licensed social workers have helped me more than Psychotherapists or Psychologists, and if I leave the clinic where I am at, I will lose my case manager and Psychiatrist..and I worked hard at finding this agency. I make more money on SSDI than I would make on SSI, and I make too much money on SSDI to qualify for SSI. Any groups in my area are too far for me to walk to. Thank you for all the helpful tips. I think My therapist is going to try to help me with a support system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.