Borderline Thyroid blood test but have symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been type 1 diabetic for 30yrs. The passed 5 yrs I have been getting fatter and fatter. I have been to see my diabetic nurse who has tested for Hypothyroidism and said the blood test came back as borderline. I have these symptoms, I am now at least 3 stone heavier, I have also seen a dietician who said there is nothing wrong with my diet but would like to see me add an apple or fruit daily.   i eat healthy and my diabeties is well managed and i dont inject a huge amount of insulin per day. I can sleep at anytime anywhere, i try not to sit on a comfy chair because i will drop off to sleep. I do have chronic lymphoedema and wear stockings to help with the swelling in my legs and prevent anymore ulcers.  I have terrible pain in my elbows. I walk at least 14 miles per week if not more, because i train Labradors for a living. I am 48yrs old. Do i go and see my doctor and see if he can put me on medication, or is it all in my head and its just all the other health issues i have? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am now waiting to see a doctor to have all bloods done including HBA1C for my Diabetes. The earliest appointment is 11 May can you believe so as soon as i have had a chat with the doctor and had bloods done ill let you all know.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone , Im new to the forum and I'm sorry for crashing into an on going discussion but I'm hoping someone can give me a little feedback. Quite frankly Ive been quite poorly and now I think I'm being viewed as A hypocondriac, but I am convinced I have a thyroid issue . My Doctor and now it seems my Endocrinologist are wiping there hands of me as they see no underlying endocrine cause. I do have a pituitary macroadenoma but The Endocrinologist says my bloods dont show anything wrong. Sorry to bore everyone but a brief synopsis-

Im losing my hair

Ive put on 3 stone in 3 months despite to change in my diet 

I have poor memory

Im exhausted all the time

I get headaches

Erratic body temperature

By late afternoon everyday Im getting cramps in my lower legs and my feet to the extent I can barely walk

Ive had bloods done and the only results I have are

March 15 TSH 3.9

Free T4 13.6

Dec 14 TSH 2.1 

Free T4 12.5

My recent bloods I believe show my TSH  at about 2.9 again

My Vit D keeps falling it was 17 and after 3 months supplimentation Im at 51 - this is the second time it has dropped.

Please - has anyone any input ?

Thank you

• Posted

Hello Michelle,  There are 2 horomones your thyroid makes T3 & T4 and the level of those needs to be checked and is much different than the TSH blood test.  Sometimes a person has low T3 for example and then your own thyroid tries to make up the missing hormone but it does not work.  It sounds like you have a lot of the symptoms which can be losing hair, easily gaining weight, dry skin, painful muscles, constipation, loss of menstrual cycle, low vit D, loss of energy and brain fog, lower pulse, feeling cold....now everyone is different, so you may have 6 symptoms and another person could have 10 symptoms.  Please see a good Endocrinologist (they specialize in endocrine glands), and have all of the tests redone. Your TSH level is only 1 test. you need to have a sed. rate test, T3 & T4, Vit D level, B-12 level, reg. full blood count including all minerals & lipid panels.  some other conditions are fibromyalgia, cushing's disease, Lupus and arthritis has a myraid of conditions along with that. It sounds like you need to keep a log or journal of your symptoms and maybe see if you have a family history of thyroid problems and tell the doctor that. Be your own advocate and see a better doctor. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.