Borderline thyroid should this be treated?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv been on and off these forums trying to get some info, I have been having a lot of muscle pain all over and fatigue, my blood tests came back fine but thyroid level showed borderline, yet the doctor won't treat it, when I was speaking to the receptionist she said to mention to the doctor if I had experienced any tiredness which I have had extreme but they don't seem to want to treat it, I am now being given a a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and don't know what to believe. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You don't say if you are borderline hypo or borderline hyper?  In either case, you might benefit from using a supplement called L-Carnitine.  This is an amino acid that is normally found in our bodies but gets depleted in thryoid disease.  If your muscles improve on it, you will know you did the right thing. You can find it in Health Food stores. 
  • Posted

You should not believe or co-relate your health with forums or comments as every individual has different body structure and hereditary issues if you want to treat your muscle pain this may be due to lack of vitamins or minerals like calcium magnesium and sodium.
    • Posted

I believe if you have untreated thyroid disease, especially hyperthyroidism, you will be deficient in many vitamins and minerals. Ideally, being tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies by a Naturopath and replacing any deficiencies would be the best thing to do.  However testing is costly and without testing, you won't know which ones you are deficient in but with replacing carnitine and vitamin D, it has been shown to improve thyroid blood levels as well as symptoms because L-carnitine acts much like antithyroid medications and if a person is borderline hyper, it will normalize those levels.  Also, they will feel better on it.
    • Posted

I have also been taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine and have been feeling much better while being in remission with the Graves' Disease.  Apparently many people do well on 500 mg twice daily, but I seem to do best on 1000 mg twice daily.  It makes a slight difference in my muscular strength at least in small muscles like the ones that give bladder control and the ones around my eyes so that I don't have as much problem with double vision.
  • Posted

Potassium is also very important if you have muscle cramps.  Fruits are the main source of potassium, especially bananas and orange juice, and potatoes are also rich in potassium.  There are also other foods which help with thyroid problems.  Broccoli, for example, contains a chemical from which the anti thyroid drugs were derived, if I understand correctly. 

But I am also of the opinion that the treatment for Graves' Disease is worse than the disease itself--at least if you are only borderline.

• Posted

I was borderline for ages and went through 18 months of blood tests because the doctors were so reluctant to diagnose and treat my under active thyroid despite me feeling dog-tired and having other symptoms. They finally agreed to put me on the smallest dose with 3 monthly blood tests-then my dose was put up and up and up and has taken another year to get right. I would definitely persist and ask for a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.