Borderline Tumor.. Please Advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had went back to see my doctor to view my CT scan and blood test result yesterday but all I was told is that they will arrange me to have a laparotomy surgery and the current size of the mass is around 21.6cm. He just told me that my blood test result detected some abnormal cells in it and said that the mass may be a borderline tumor. I am currently quite confuse as he didn't actually show me the full CT scan report and the clinical diagnosis stated as "? ovarian malignancy". Does this actually means that there is a higher chance that the mass is going to be malignant? 

And also what should I expect during the laparotomy procedure? I am kind of scare because I don't know what to expect after the surgery whether it will be super painful or just normal pain. I am 22 years old this year. Please give me some advice T^T.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

They can't actually tell what it is until it is removed and tested. I had a 30cm tumour which I had removed by laparotomy which turned out to be borderline. Borderline does not mean it is malignant. The ovacome website is useful a read to explain it.

As for the surgery it's not as bad as you think it's going to be, I was in for 4 days they'll have you up and walking in hospital. My advice would be get some big knickers, keep a pillow handy for car journeys. Keep a glass of water nearby in case you need to cough and pinch your nose if you need to sneeze as that can be painful at first.

You'll be really tired at first and surprised at how normal things like getting dressed wear you out but this quickly changed. After a couple of weeks you'll feel much better but don't do too much just some short walks as trust me you'll feel it later. It'll be around 6 weeks before you're able to do everything you could before.

I used a dermatix silicone strip on my scar to help heal it up and have used bio oil ever since and it doesn't look so bad.

Any more questions let me know. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi there! May I ask regarding to the pain after the operation? I am actually quite scare and worried about that part and also how long did your operation last?
    • Posted

I know I went down slightly late and I honestly don't remember I slept mostly coming back up. Pain is well managed, it's there but I had a morphine drip with a button I could control initially. Then once they remove the drip you from that they give you plenty of painkillers. Back pain was uncomfortable but not at all ridiculous. I promise you'll build it up in your head far worse. Think we're far more resilient than we realise x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! Actually I am wondering because of this mass my menses did not come for around 5months. So will it suddenly release after the mass is removed? (Sorry if it sound funny ><)>
    • Posted

I can't actually tell you. I'm on the pill so mine just continued as normal throughout. I have noticed it's slightly different since the op though starts a day later for some reason x
  • Posted

I am much older than you but I had a borderline tumor similar to yours that was removed. It did have malignant cells but I am ok. It hDnt spread. My MD told me larger tumors are often not malignant and hopefully yours won't be. In any case, the surgery will be difficult for a few days, but you are young And should heal quickly. I urge you to take one step at a time, stay positive, listen to the doctor. Bring someone with you to your appointment. Take notes and ask questions. The surgery isn't fun but time is on your side and you will heal. Don't drive yourself nuts with fear and anxiety. I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

They wont know until they operate and can test the mass to see what it is. I think they do it as open surgery as they dont want any possible abnormal cells left inside you as would be if they had to pop it inside you to get it out. You will be asleep so you'll be fine. The question mark just means its questionable...they don't know yet. I think because you're young you'll heal well after the operation I hope it is good news for you xx
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all your advice! It really mean a lot to me as I have no one else around me to ask for this sort of advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.