Boric Acid for Thrush?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

So I've had about 9 UTI's this year and of course finally got thrush after the last one (I've been UTI free for about a month now, yay!). However instead of Candida albicans which can be cured with things like canesten cream and other clotrimazole based creams, I have Candida glabrata. I found this out after a swab was sent off to the labs. 

I have been given about 600mg of Vaginal Boric Acid. I am to insert one tablet into my vagina once every night for 14 days. 

The first few days were okay, just had the watery discharge which has been a pretty uncomfortable feeling. Kind of like being on a mildly heavy period. However I am now on day 8 and every now and again I get a nasty burning feeling on my skin and its still very red and raw. 

I was able to have sex a couple of times this week (with a condom because of the thrush), and both times it felt fine, just sensitive after. But since having sex the burn is a little more intense. Last time my boyfriend and I were having sex with condom, then decided to try no condom, and with lube because I was actually unusually dry. After he inserted, I felt a horrid burning sensation from within so we stopped immediately. 

A pharmacist had told me that feeling this level of burning is not normal with thrush, and that it is the boric acid making it worse and the addition of sex making it even more irritated hence the increase of burn intensity and redness. 

I was wondering if anyone else has had expeirence with using vaginal boric acid and what their experience was like? 

Do you think this is normal and should I stear clear of sex until that area has healed?  

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You shouldn’t not be having sex while you have thrush. The infection and the boric acid can make the vaginal wall fragile and prone to abrasions and splitting. You don’t want any physical trauma on top of the trauma to the vaginal wall caused by the infection and the chemical trauma from the boric acid. Certainly do not have unprotected sex because you can give thrush to you partner who can them reinfect you (with men thrush can be asymptomatic, so he may not know he has it). In fact, as a matter of course, your partner should be treated the same time as you. All docs have always said this when I get thrush. I agree you shouldn’t continue with the boric acid as you have obviously reacted to it. Is there an oral medicine you can take for your strain of Candida? You must very very careful because  combination of persistent thrush, chemical trauma from treatment and having sex before I was fully better caused vulvodynia which took me 2 years (of no sex and several different treatments) to get rid of. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.