Both feet done!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had my first scalf akin operation in October last year and I am now 8 weeks post op from having my other foot done. Both operations went really well, did as the surgeon advised.. keep foot elevated use the heal bearing boot. I have had my first lot of physio for the last operation. The toe is moving well but you need to have patience!! I still keep my feet up where I can as it can take upto a year for the swelling to go. I hope that all who are thinking about having the operation done that this gives you some hope that it can go really well, especially if you have a good surgeon.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

sounds like you are well on the way to recovery. Do you work and if so when did you return?

• Posted

Hi yes I do work but its a desk job, I go back tomorrow. I have been driving short journeys for two weeks now and all is good.
  • Posted

Thank you Toni c I'm in my lovely bed after having both feet done today! Scarf akin and one hammertoe, just starting to feel a little throb in right under big toe! It's not going to be easy getting around but it's done now and can only move forward from it. So glad you've done so well. How do you find the whole early recovery period? Any advice is appreciated x
    • Posted

Hi. Wow both feet done together and hammer toe... you are brave. I've had very little pain, after the first operation I took ibuprofen on a regular basis for a couple of days which was really a precaution. This time I was unable to take ibuprofen so I was on paracetamol for a couple of days and all was good. The whole recovery was good, just keep your feet elevated most of the time for the first two weeks I had some advise from the physio to keep the ankle moving. Then you can get up for a maximum of 10 mins at a time to make a cuppa or a sandwich from week three. I started wearing trainers from week five but when I am sat I just elevate the foot. Good luck with your recovery... its definitely worth it!!!!
    • Posted

I'm brave or stupid lol. Work had a lot to do with mine being done together time off etc. yes I'm trying to keep on too of the pain too x I can just feel some discomfort starting but it's managable if that makes sense. Yes my physio said pretty much the same as yours. I have to move because of risk of DVT self injecting for the next 4 weeks. You sound like your doing really well hoping I follow suit x
  • Posted

Good all's gone well for you! Sounds like you're well on your way to recovery, really is worth it isn't it. Can I ask how walking was again on your first operated foot after your rest period on your second...does that make sense?!!! (Wondering as I'm a few  days in on my second foot op, just under 4 months between!!)
    • Posted

Hi. I was doing quite a lot of walking from 3-4 months after the operation. The surgeon checked I had a full range of movement before he did the second operation. I hope all goes well with your surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Toni and hope all's gone well with your return to work this week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.