Both Feet Now ~ Ouch! :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Am in trouble. Mum died a month ago so I am suddenly managing her household (& estate) single-handed: large garden, dog (pet), clearing up after trauma, moving things around, and so forth.

A week ago I went for a walk in a new pair of shoes. Have an arthritic big toe joint in left foot so consciously delivered walking weight onto right foot. Result was a sore, painful right ankle the next day, which won't go away. Am wearing a support on it.

Now today, gardening, my left big toe joint was suddenly shot with pain. At first I though it was a sprained ligament, but it's the toe joint which is painful. So now I have injuries to both feet, and things are getting sticky - am I technically lame? Can't be far off it! surprised

Have taken neurofen and am coping but - 'limping pains' in both feet - what am I to do? Trip to the supermarket earlier this afternoon was obviously beyond contemplating. I found a walking stick not been used for a while. Was using for the right leg - now I'm using it on the left!

Should I contact my GP? What should I do please?

Thanks,

Owen

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

update: better news: removed Dunlop Garden Shoes and put old work boots on to do the lawn, pain in my left toe started to ease at once. It seems the Garden Shoes are doing my left foot in, so by this evening I have my mobility back, save the sore right ankle which is still wrapped in its 'sports support' velcro thing.
  • Posted

That' great news .at least Iit isn'tbroken xx tTakecare
  • Posted

Thanks. This is odd Jackie - the forum won't let me respond to you directly - am having to basically respond to my own post.

It must have been the garden shoe - don't know much about arthritic joints but I think if they are unhappy they produce an acid which causes pain, so presumably that was what was causing me such intense discomfort during the afternoon. Never had this before - quite like that. Very scary to have both feet painful at the same time, but gone back to where I was earlier in the day now, quite a relief.

• Posted

Oh Owen, you need to go to your doctors or A &E.however it does sound like arthritus, I take 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen to help slight the pain. This combination is good, but go and do something about it please.

i do think a lot is stress related due to your circumstances. Everything hitting you at once. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks all. Do I have gout? Not sure about that one. It's the right ankle which is sore, that was sparked by new shoes over a week ago. It does worry me that the ankle is still tender, but never has it swollen - which is I think the case for classic gout?

The left, large knuckle joint for the big toe was diagnosed as arthritic about a year ago, and I have been careful with it ever since. This means wearing shoes with heels - as opposed to plimsoles. The garden shoes have heels but they are 'raw' on the inside, I'd hoped to cushion them with insoles, but my life is upside down right now. It was probably the spartan nature of the rubber garden shoes which caused the big toe joint to become inflamed - oh boy, was it painful for a while! I'd better book a GP appointment tomorrow. I am on my own now and the prospect of becoming lame in both feet at any stage does not bear thinking about - now is an exactingly busy time - and it looks like staying that way for some time into the future.

• Posted

Now have GP appointment - right ankle still sore - ankle support still on - left toe now settled down in better footwear - will update - thanks to all smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.