both feet separate surgeries

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I'm 38 years old I work in a factory and on my feet for 10 hours a day I was scheduled to have my right foot Done on June 5th and my left foot approximately 4 to 6 weeks later about 18 years ago I had one in surgery on my left foot but all the doctors really do we shave the bump down so unfortunately since the deformed bones were never corrected the bunion came back my ,question is has anyone else I have both feet on on separate occasions a few weeks apart how is your recovery

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I had surgery on my right foot 14 weeks ago. I had the bunion removed and my toe straightened through slicing wedges out of the joint and then the toe was pinned (akins proceedure), if you want your toe straightened too,  which will mean no more bunions then I would strongly advise a longer period between ops, but it depends on the severity of the deformed bones. I am only back to work 50% , I work in school and stand for long periods but not 10 hours at a time. I am not trying to worry you but recovery can be slow.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, wishing you well for your surgery.

I had scarf/akin on one foot in February and will have my other foot operated on in  June - 17 weeks apart. That's only because my surgeon would'nt do both or the second sooner even though I begged him to!!! I would really have liked my second foot to be done sooner as your having. That way will give you more or less one block of recovery time,  just remember to rest for the first two weeks when they do your second foot !!! Good luck Rebecca. 

• Posted

hi Bee do you have any idea why the doctor had you wait so long in between surgeries I'm glad I only have to wait 4 to 6 weeks in between so I can be back to work within 10 to 12 weeks I do have temporary disability through work but my checks are going to be much smaller they are when I'm working anxious to get this done and over with a little nervous putting more nervous about the left foot being that I had surgery on that foot once before afraid that the scar tissue is going to hurt
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca I am sure that the scar on the left foot being opened again will not be a problem, they wouldn't be doing it if they thought it was going to be a problem. Rest assured, although there is swelling and pain after the op for some time it is not as painful as having to live day in and day out with a deformed foot, or feet. Follow everyone's advice of resting, elevation and ice for recovery and you will be fine. Good luck
    • Posted

I can really see the advantages for you to have them done so closely together. I work from home so unfortunately I didn't have that as an issue to plead with. It seems every surgeon has their own timescales, mine wanted to make sure my first foot was well recovered before proceeding with the other. That was just his view, I saw another surgeon who would do both of mine at the same time so nothing to do with the actual op. You'll find  there are loads of patients on here who have had both feet done at the same time or like you, one shortly followed by the other.  The operation and your recovery has moved on dramatically since your last operation so don't be nervous, I'm sure all will be well.  
    • Posted

Yes the pain I feel by the end of the night is so bad that I can walk barefoot and have reall bad calluses on the side of my feet because I walk on the sides of my seat because of the pain or the bunions are on the side of my big toes and even underneath shooting pulsating throbbing pain I hate it
  • Posted

Going to be fab to get rid of that awful bunion pain and have lovely new feet!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.