Both Hands

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have Carpual Tunnek Syndrome in both hands I'm going to see a consultant next month hoping to ask him if I can have them both done at the same time  

Has anyone had this done if so how long before they could use their hands ?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some surgeons do both simultaneously and there are a couple of small studies demonstrating good patient satisfaction with bilateral operations. However, it does require someone to help out for the first few days while you cannot use either hand (think about it) and most people prefer to do one at a time. Apart from anything else, when you treat the first one the other side sometimes improves anyway so surgery on the second hand may not be necessary. This may all be a bit different if you have a  surgeon who perfoms 'keyhole' surgery for CTS as recovery times are a bit shorter for that. You can treat both sides at the same time by steroid injection, or you can operate on one side and inject the other - which always strikes me as an interesting experiment in patients with bilateral and fairly symmetrical CTS as it allows the patient to compare the two treatments directly.
  • Posted

I'd be surprised if he does there really not allow to do it for your health and safety reason
  • Posted

My Mom had both done at the same time 15-20 years ago, for at least a week she could not wipe her bum !!! How well do you get on with your other house guests/husband? You will be in thick bandages for at least 48 hours...
  • Posted

I am so glad I had both hands done at the same time last October.  My surgeon has extensive experience in this type of bilateral surgery.  Immediately after the surgery, I was able to use the fingers.  (no lifting)  Both hands were wrapped in gauze, which was removed on the third day, post surgery.  I was able to do most things, including personal hygiene.  I kept a supply of disposable gloves on hand so I could do things without getting the stitches wet for 2 weeks.  (also to keep stitches from getting hung on things)  The stitches were a bit uncomfortable at times, but not unbearable.  Once the stitches were removed, the site was and still is somewhat tender.  However, the scars are in a place that doesn't really bother me with daily tasks.  I avoided heavy lifting for about a month, at which time I gradually began to do more.  (gallon of milk, etc)  At first, I used both hands to support each other.  Over all, I would do it again.  Immediately after the surgery, I had no more tingling and numbness in the hands.  What a relief my surgery has been.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Thank you for you advice

You are the first who has given a positive feedback on having both hands done together

I just want to get it over with rather than worry about having to go in and have them done seperatley

My job does involve heavynfting but hopefully I will be given light duties whiles hands healing

Thanks again

• Posted

Like u said I've had my both hands done but one at a time they wouldn't do it because of health and safety issues love to give positive answers but there the doctors and tell you how it is !!
    • Posted

You're quite welcome!  I, too, wanted to get it over with all at once.  It was a good decision for me.  Hopefully, you have an experienced surgeon, as I did.  I can only speak for myself.  Thank God, I did not have any complications, therefore, the positive response.  As with any surgery, there are risks. I pray your surgery will be as successful as mine. 

P.S.  I put on rubber gloves, secured above the wrist with rubber hair bands to prevent water from soaking the site while showering!  

• Posted

I need to have my dominant hand done soon. I had left hand and elbow done on 12/8/15. I suppose a doctor would do both at one time but it does take time to heal.I personally could not have done bilateral
  • Posted

Hi my two hands done but 3 weeks apart. My surgeon flatly refuses to do both together if you live alone....and I sure can understand why. smile There are quite a few in the Facebook support group I Survived Carpal Tunnel Surgery who have written they are very glad they had both done at once. Good luck with whatever you decide! smile
    • Posted

Yes exactly no surgeons these days do two hands at same time because you run into infections they did 20 odd year ago 👍👍
  • Posted

As is now obvious from the collection of replies, there are surgeons around who do bilateral simultaneous operations and there is certainly no health and safety rule barring this practice. The key thing here is probably to discuss with your particular surgeon exactly what their post-operative regime is so that you will understand how limited the use of your hands will be in the first few days and you will then be able to figure out for yourself whether you have enough assistance to cope. Different surgeons use a wide variety of different dressings post-op and keep things bandaged for different lengths of time. There were surgeons who would immobilise the wrist in plaster for two weeks after surgery but I don't think anyone does this now.

A rather more important decision than whether to do both at the same time or one before the other is actually whether to operate at all or not. This involves balancing a rather complicated mix of risks, benefits and inconveniences and in the average orthopaedic clinic you may not get much time to think about it. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Susan, I had both done at that same time and had no problems.  I had help for the first few days but really had no problems. However, some of the people on this site seem to have waited for years before having the surgery done, and also had no follow up therapy. That seemed to make the difference for me.
    • Posted

Thank you

I am going to see my consultant next month and really hope I can convince him 

• Posted

I had both hands done at the same time three years ago and I would never to it if I were you.  My hands have been tingling and numb 24/7 for three yrs.  I found another doctor who is going to do a new surgery where they cut longer on the hand and arm, lift the nerve and then put a synthetic wrap aorund the nerve.   I will have one hand at a time done this time
  • Posted

Hey Susan, how did double release go? I'm scheduled for it on Friday 2/24/17? I'm really nervous but excited at the same time. Already have arrangementsome for help with afyer care at moms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.