both knees require tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am scheduled for my 1st knee replacement in 3 weeks I need both done, not sure if I should have left or right done first. Both hurts are about the same

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If both need replaced just pick one! I went with the one that bothered me the most on my first go-round! Three and a half months later I had the second one done. My first swelled a lot and seemed much heavier. My second one swelled much less and just seemed less of a hassle all the way around.

Either way I think you will be glad to be done with the constant pain. The bone-on-bone thing REALLY hurts. There's none of that now for me.

My knee replacements were the two best things I ever did for my health and well-being.

Wishing you much success with yours!??

• Posted

That’s so good to hear! I have been really scared whether to go back to see the orthopaedic consultant. I haven’t seen him for nearly five years. But both my knees are so painful, and so stiff. I have read about terrible pain for a year or so after surgery on one knee, and I am not sure I could go through that. 
    • Posted

I got frustrated with the insurance company that wanted me to: 1) get physical therapy, 2) cortisone shots, 3) see a Rheumatologist, 4) take pain medication and refused OrthoDisc shots (rooster combs solution injected into knees that supposedly helps build cartilage up to provide a cushion.)

I did the first four steps and just got TIRED of the "dog and pony show" without any real success. Like you, I just stopped going to the doctor FOR FOUR YEARS. I was just disgusted.

Finally I had a pain episode in my left knee one morning that felt EXACTLY like someone had thrust a sword into the back of my knee and out the kneecap. I distinctly remember looking down and expecting to SEE BLOOD!😵

It was Memorial Day weekend, so I used crutches because I couldn't put any weight on my left leg. I called Tuesday, went right away that day. (Thank goodness for cancellations!!!) My x-rays showed SO MUCH MORE bowing than four years earlier! I thought Doc would put me at #5 on the insurance list (arthroscopic surgery). When Doc leaned on his chair and said, "Cheryl, THAT ship has sailed! You need BOTH KNEES replaced!" I had actually WORN OFF my bone spurs!

I was SO HAPPY that I FINALLY could get off the CRAZY TRAIN and just GET MY SURGERY!!!😁😄📣😊🎉🥇??🥁🎉😄😁??📣🤸👍💟💥

My pain was FAR LESS with surgery than the pain I had been living with during those four years. I am NOT kidding!

Best things EVER!😁

So glad I FINALLY qualified!

Couldn't wait for Knee #2 to be done. Got it done three and a half months later.

As our family spent this Saturday at one of our local apple farms for their Fun Fest, on our feet all day, climbing on and off tractor rides, down hills, following our little TWO-YEAR-OLD Granddaughter up steps of the tree house and back down again, I kept thanking God for the strength and courage to get my knees FIXED so I could LIVE NORMALLY once again.

You may be very pleasantly surprised how much easier surgery is than living with PAIN prior to surgery. I know I was surprised. The pain I had was HEALING PAIN. I knew I needed to have SOME discomfort. I was willing to do just about ANYTHING to get rid of my awful pain!

Wishing you all the best! Let me know how things go, OK???

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing with me! And you are a believer too! About six years ago I experienced healing from the Lord, and was totally free from pain for a couple of years. I remember ringing up the hospital to cancel a check up appointment and gave them the reason that God had healed me! But then the pain came back. I have been praying for that total healing to come back. My knees feel worse now. My left knee clunks when I bend and straighten it and this used to be my good knee. I can’t walk too far, or stand for too long without pain. I am due more steroid injections in December, so I think I may ask about a referral to the consultant again. 

I like the way you describe the pain as healing pain. I had my gallbladder removed removed in July, and that was how I described that pain. I had suffered for so many years with pain from gallstones and am completely better from that. I will be 52 next Monday, and have had osteoarthritis for at least ten years. 

Hoping you continue to do well. 

• Posted

Hi Lynne!

Glad to hear that your gallbladder issues are resolved. So good when surgery can repair a problem so completely!😊

Happy almost birthday!🎂

Yes, I am quite blessed to have come from many generations of believers. My strength prior to surgery and my peace and calm afterwards was ALL GOD! I have always been grateful for having the opportunity to know Him as a very young child and enjoy learning more each day.

I hope that you can learn more after talking to your consultant. Pain is very difficult to deal with and starts to take over our lives. I hope your pain will leave you soon.

Sending prayers of strength and peace and HOPE to you tonight!??

• Posted

I would do the left first.

That way you will at least be able to drive and get out of the house sooner.  When you have the right one done you are more dependent on others to get you around however as long as you are on pain meds you cannot drive anyway.

• Posted

That’s good advice. I had a right TKR and could not drive for 9 weeks.  Make sure to talk to your doctor about pain control.

Good luck to you!

Ellen

• Posted

Hi Netta I had my first knee replacement two years ago without any problems Yes! I was scared nervous and all that but it was worth it in the end I am on the waiting list for my right knee replacement rather more complicated because l had an operation on this knee years ago The pain just goes into the bin and my recovery went smoothly hopefully the same this time It really doesn't matter what knee is done first I drive an automatic car so this time around will be different but l was driving after two weeks before and never had a walking stick just just an aid for six weeks Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.