Both parents AB blood group and I’m O! Is this actually possible?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Years ago I decided to give blood. After doing this I found out that I had O blood type, but both my parents are AB! I've looked this up and it's said to be impossible! I asked my mum about it, she became quite defensive and then said that I had inherited from one of my grandparents! All I would like to know is this actually possible.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi life can throw us curve balls all the way through our lives and when it does we tend to catastrophise it and imagine the worst, how do you know that both your parents are AB have they told you they are or are you guessing???

• Posted

But do you know if they are your biological parents? Could they have used a sperm donor? Are you first or last born?

If you do have a biological parent out there would you want to meet them?

• Posted

I have my original birth certificate which states that they are my biological parents. I have never had any other reason to question that they are my parents! I have an older sibling and they were born naturally of the same parents and they have never questioned their parentage! I'm not really concerned with finding DNA or another parent, if there is one, I would just like to confirm if the blood difference is possible or not!

• Posted

If they are your biological parents as you say then clearly biology has it wrong and you have nothing to worry about.

Not sure what you want to get out of this. If you want to know the truth you know your options.

• Posted

I suggest you actually ask your parents outright because if I'm honest if your 100% sure that both your parents are AB then you will find your siblings are a combination of AB not O but if only one is AB then the family will have any of the blood groups

I think you are being misinformed

• Posted

If you want to know if both your parents are your biological parents short of them answering your questions a DNA test from one of the 2 big ancestry companies should help. Your cousin matches will help confirm your lineage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.