Both shoulders, same time!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I started symptoms of FS in my non-dominate shoulder 8 months ago and that shoulder is now frozen and pretty much pain free, limited mobility but since it doesn't hurt I'm pushing it and feel as though I'm regaining some ROM.

Three days ago I woke up in the middle of the night with screaming pain in my other (dominate) shoulder! I knew right away.  I took some Alieve and managed to fall back asleep. Night 2 I tried to be preemptive and took the Alieve before bed and didn't have pain, thought maybe it was a fluke. Night 3 I didn't take anything and guess what? Woke at 4am with the pain! I am just positive it's happening again.

It was easy to forget the impact of the first shoulder when it doesn't hurt and I have adapted to life with little mobility on that side. To go through it again makes me want to weep. Not sure if it's better to know what's coming or to be ignorant those first few months when we didn't know what was going on the first time. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Mine was caused by an auto accident. Know how much it I've done, even daily at home I'm never pain free. Night time is the worst. Wake up a minimum of 4 times a night in unbearable pain. Doesn't seem to matter what I take. Been going through this almost 20 months. Lost 30% range of motion. I'm at a last, don't know what else to do. Even day time I'm never without pain. Some days are worse than others.

• Posted

I’m weeping for you!  Living with a FS that is pain free is a good thing.  FS in dominate shoulder is a horrible occurrence.  I am approaching 8 mos with FS in non-dominate shoulder.  I relate to night time up and downs.  My husband has been so great.

I’ve had FS in my dominate shoulder but my ortho misdiagnosed it as arthritis.  It’s a horrible condition which robs you of life.  No matter what I’ve done I can’t get to thaw.  I’m encouraged and then lose ground when it becomes painful again especially in the first wakeful moments.

Hang in there and I hope you improve soon.

• Posted

My boyfriend feels helpless when it's unbearabley painful. Nothing he can do, I tell him regularly. I have young grandkids, one of them is 2. When he See's me just wants up and lots of hugs and kisses. Breaks my heart I can't pick him up. I just get down to his level. It has effected my life and family and boyfriend so much. There are so many things now I'm unable to do. So not just physical pain, emotional pain also. Feeling so discouraged.

• Posted

I have two granddaughters under 3 who live out of state.  I feel your pain.
  • Posted

Two frozen shoulders for me too currently. When the 2nd one started to go, I was a wreck for about two weeks, then I accepted it. Your reaction is normal. Soon you will accept it though. 

My 2nd one has been freezing for nearly 8 months now and still hurts though!

• Posted

I can’t imagine your pain and frustration. The most frustrating thing is there is so little than can be done.  Hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi, I can relate!  I too have two frozen shoulders.  The first, a year old now, is in the frozen/thawing stage and the pain has diminished dramatically, ROM is slowly improving so thank goodness for that!  The second one, the right and dominant side, is still in the painful freezing stage, it is a few months old now. 

What I have found is that having the left side first, it gives me hope that this one will also get better, and in fact, over the last few weeks the pain has diminished some in the second frozen shoulder. 

What really works for me for the painful shoulder is sleeping on my back (that took awhile but is working great now) and doing ultrasound with half conductive gel and half and half Sub-Zero.  I have to have my sweetie do that for me and with two FSs you might need someone to help with that too.  It has worked wonders for the pain!  The ultrasound makes the Sub-Zero penetrate deeply and lasts a very long time.  I also have these Chinese herbal patches called 701 that I use once the Sub-Zero has worn off, you can get them on Amazon.  Great, great for the pain but can cause skin irritation if you leave them on too long or use to close to other topicals.

I don't do any particular exercises but I do gentle self-massage, including the armpit, and anywhere it hurts that I can reach.  I do very very gentle neck stretches, a tiny bit of self-trigger point and a very gentle lying down bent elbow stretch with my non-painful shoulder, but other than that, nothing except daily activities that I can accomplish without pain.  My PT assured me that full ROM will come, and for me to not try to force it as that may only aggravate it.  I have definitely found this to be the case.

Anyway, I hope some of this information might be of help to you or anyone else in our FS family.  Wishing you, and all of us, thawing and pain-free shoulders very very soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.