Botox and fissurectomy

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had botox and fissurectomy just over 2 weeks ago now and thought I'd share my experience for anyone who is considering it but is unsure as I was.

I've been really lucky and so far so good. The first day was great as they had given me a long lasting local anesthetic while I was under. When that wore off it was sore and tender and stung when I passed stool but the pain was not severe and nothing like when the fissures get really bad. They sent me home with Palexia which is an opiod pain killer but I didnt need it and just took some ibuprofen for the first five days or so which was fine.

I took it pretty easy that first week and worked from home (I think I would have struggled if I had a job that required me to be on my feet as it was aching and hurting that first week if I stood for too long) but then I went on a cruise about 8 days after the surgery for 4 nights with plenty of walking and dancing and I was fine.

I passed a fairly hard stool a couple of days ago and had some pain on and off for the rest of the day but no bleeding and none of the severe sharp shooting, burning pains and deep spasms that I would normally get 24/7 so I think the botox is working.

Ive been reflecting on why my experience has been ok (after putting it off for 4 years because I was so worried about it) and I think its a few things; Firstly I had been taking a lot of laxatives and hot baths/ heat pads in the weeks leading up to the surgery so it was pretty calm down there (I wasn't bleeding or getting the bad spasms) . Secondly (and most importantly) I had an amazing surgeon, Dr Darren Gold, who is very experienced with this procedure and is probably the best in the business - it is a really technical thing to get these injections just right so I think that makes a huge difference (he's also a really lovely, funny guy which also helps). And finally I was able to work from home the week after so could physically take it easy and let things heal. I am also taking movicol everyday still and will for the next month or so while its still in the early healing stage.

Dr Gold has said that I will probably need another botox injection in a few months as I had left it so long and my fissures were apparently quite bad so will need longer to fully heal - so fingers crossed it will work but its looking good so far.

My heart goes out to everyone here suffering with chronic fissures. I don't think anyone really understands until they experience one themselves - that deep visceral pain. I hope you all find something that works.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.