Botox for anal fissure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just had a botox injection for my chronic anal fissure. I have had this reoccurring fissure for 10+ years. It was always manageable until recently and so I finally did something about it.

Firstly I would like to say that the Botox itself does NOT hurt. It's the pain from the fissure that hurts, because the botox doesn't heal it straight away, it's still there after the injection as it was before and probably more aggravated from the surgeon prodding around down there. I did not get a fissurectomy or any skin tags removed, as that would have caused additional issues. I just had the injection under general anaesthetic.

I was a bit worried the next day for my first BM because I had gone most of the day before not eating or drinking anything due to the restrictions before surgery, and also because I did get super nauseous after I woke up which led to me not wanting to eat anything. So my first BM was hard and I had to strain to get it out. I didnt want it sitting there getting impacted, so I pushed. Probably a mistake, but I'm human. This hurt a lot, but not anything unlike I had previously experienced. The big difference was already noticeable, that even though it did hurt a lot, there were no spasms afterwards. You know that intense throbbing pain that lasts for hours afterwards. There was stinging from the cut, but no throbbing pain. I guess this means the botox was doing its job. I can only hope that it gets better from now on. I was really worried that I had done something wrong and set myself back, but I have to remind myself that it is not an instant cure. The botox will stop the spasms, allowing it to heal better in time.

Also, to ease your minds, I haven't had any incontinence at all with gas or leakage. If anything, I have to push my farts out too.

And my final tip is to use a hot sitz bath after BM. It really does feel good. It has to be as hot as you can stand without burning you. Despite what they say about only using warm water. My surgeon also told me to do it hot and lots of them. He's the boss.

I will keep you all updated as I go. This is only day 1. Any questions, I'm an open book.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Day 2.

So much pain. Why? BM are soft and not needing to strain. It doesn't hurt so much coming out, just afterwards. I don't get it. Is it because after the Botox, the area is more exposed? Trying to understand.

Still no throbbing spasms afterwards. But the sharp pain/burning after going is still quite unbearable.

Hot sitz bath again was the Lifesaver.

Have to do it everytime and I've needed to go a few times because like everyone else, I am trying to find the balance between stool softeners, laxatives and fibre. I just want to go once, get it all out, and then not need to go again until the next day. Ahh. This sucks.

Any words of encouragement post Botox would be much appreciated. Or just end me. #stayingpositivedidntlastlong

• Posted

Day 3.

I don't know if anyone is reading, but one day someone might stumble across this and it might help them, so here goes..

Osmolax (Australian version of Miralax) definitely keeps stool soft without giving you diarrhoea. But you will go a few times throughout the day. I'll take a few easier times over 1 hard time though. Hoping my body will adjust to it over time. I also take 2 teaspoons of Benefibre morning and night. That's all I'm doing apart from not eating a lot of meat, dairy or gluten and drinking so much water that I'm peeing all the time. I eat Raisin toast, fruit, nuts, chicken rice and veg, soup. Losing a bit of weight.

First BM today didn't hurt at all coming out. But there is still that pain afterwards for some reason. Feels like something to do with the muscles contracting back in that aggravates the fissure. However, today that pain only lasted about 5-10 minutes and then it turned to itching. A sitz bath and a bit of Soov cream (anaesthetic and anti inflammatory) stopped the itch.

Second BM, a lot more satisfying than the first and I thought that will be it, surely there's nothing left. But I did go a third time (small). Both times hurt a bit, but not intensely. Another sitz bath and more cream and it's bearable 🐻 There is a bit of blood. But my thoughts are that fissures don't normally heal because there's no blood flow to the wound, after Botox everything is relaxed allowing blood flow, so blood is a positive thing right? means it's getting flow? I dunno, just a thought.

Tip for the day: breathe deeply through your mouth while you go and focus on your breathing.. sounds weird and you might feel weird, but just go with it. It helps a lot.

I also took the week off work to rest and figure things out. I didn't want the pressure of needing to do a BM at work, not having all my comfort items, creams, baths etc if I needed them, and constantly worrying about whether or not I'm doing anything wrong or straining myself too much by even walking around or sitting too long. I'd rather just have a week off and give myself the best chance to heal. I don't get paid sick leave, so it sucks, but it's necessary for my health right now.

• Posted

Hi Danielle, ive also jist jad botox for an anal fissure I've had for only 5 weeks (day 6 after botox today), but those 4 weeks before the botox were just horrendous, I was in so much pain and not just during a BM, but afterwards as well. I went on a liquid diet (not fun at all am sure you can relate) and that helped a bit, but since the botox I have noticed a significant improvement. First BM after it was a bit hard at the tip, then soft, so it Hury a bit at forest, but was then OK. I've discovered that drinking water is key for me, something I struggle with. Today my BM was a bit harder as I didn't drink as much water yesterday, so it's a note to self to try and keep hydrated all the time and balancing it with eating lots of veg and porridge. I am very grateful for the relief of the pain, bit also just wanting it to get lost for good as am sick of being in pain and not being able to eat what I want. I hope we both heal soon, I wouldn't wish this horrendous affliction on anyone. Take care, Paula x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Paula. I was starting to feel a bit alone on here.

It's day 4 for me and it still hurts. It's not unbearable pain, but it's very uncomfortable and itchy and stingy. Also at times it feels like I've been kicked up the bum. Hard to tell how much better it is day to day (if any). I do think it's different to before though, only because I know how tense I was down there before.. to a point where I couldn't relax at all. I think things are definitely more relaxed down there, but I just want it to be over too. I also want to eat whatever I want to. I've been in bed for days and just getting a bit discouraged. It's too uncomfortable to walk around. I really hope we both heal soon and can get back to normal life.

I fear needing further surgery due to how long I've had this. But doc said there was still a chance this would work. Keep me updated on your journey.

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

I'm sorry you felt alone, you are most definitely not! I'm struggling with this bloody affliction mentally more than anything. I've been off work for 4 weeks with it and also a thyroid issue that caused a heap of other problems. I feel like I've been put through the wringer in the last 2 months. And now have to deal with this, my consultant said after my procedure that I have 2 fissures, not one! I was gutter to hear that. Still, as I've mentioned, things have been better since the botox which is now 1 week ago. I pray it continues to get better, as like you, I'd rather not have any more surgery, but if I need it I'll have it, I'm not suffering with this damned affliction any more than I have to. I get pay up to 3 months if I am off sick, then it goes right down to not a lot. I really hope you are able to heal enough to get back to work, it really does suck that you don't get any sick pay, I really feel for you on that, but think you have done right by your health to take the time you need. My husband and I have a trip planned to Wales (we're in the UK, think you're in Australia?) in a weeks time just to his parents caravan, just the two of us and I'm worries about how I'll handle food etc. It's a new caravan, small but has central heating, a fully fitted kitchen, loo and shower, but I'm still scared as it's close quarters and in this situation you sometimes want some space! Oh well, he's heard me screaming on the loo when it was really bad like passing razor blades, so I guess there's not much more to hide! Totally get you on being in bed....I've spent a lot of days I'm bed, I try to make a point of getting up and washed and dressed, but I think it's the mental exhaustion as well as the physical of dealing with this that means most aftenoons I crash. I'm taking lactulose am and pm as well as stool softeners throughout the day, trying to drink enough water and sticking to porridge, smoothies, yoghurt and veg for food as much as I can. I do have a bit of cheese in my veg as I love it but apart from the odd bit of yoghurt, that's my only dairy. If I have any bread, it's wholemeal sourdough, and usually only half a slice. So tough to live through. I am hating every minute. Here's to us both healing and never having anything like it ever again!

• Posted

2 fissures?! Ouch! apparently that's rare. I'm so sorry you have more than one of these horrid things. I thought I had 2, but my surgeon said it was just one which was a relief. If there is such a thing as relief right now.

This morning the first time I went to the toilet I was pain free. I thought, yes! It's over!.. and then I had to go again.. and there was the sharp pain and blood again. Like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Very discouraging. But, it still wasn't horrible pain like I have experienced before. Do you find that you still have pain and blood on some days? but not others? Do you think it's still healing despite this?

Yes, I am from Australia 🇦🇺 . I figured all the people on here are from the UK. I just crashed the party.

I can't imagine going through this with other people around. I am single and don't have any kids, so I have a bit more privacy living alone. My sister wants to come stay with me, and I'm like.. not right now. You'll have to let me know how the caravan trip goes.

Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues on top of all this. Do you think that has something to do with the 2 fissures?

I have felt similarly beaten this last year with one thing after another. I'm supposed to be getting surgery on my knee but can't right now because of this. So I'm just a walking (or limping) mess right now.

Here's to better days ahead!

• Posted

Hi Danielle, haha, i think there are also some folks from theUS of A on here too....I figure anyone who is suffering from this God-awful affliction is very welcome to crash the party! We're all dealing with a bloody nightmare, so let's help each other through it if we can! I'm definitely feeling better since the Botox, touch wood, I haven't had the 'razor blades' pain that I was having, which was utterly excruciating and left me incredibly low. However I'm not pain free, funnily enough where I think the main fissure is, is healing as I can put my finger on it and feel the (now very small) lump that was there and where it went up inside and used to be oh so painful and it doesn't hurt now. But where I think I had a sentinel pile excised, just next to the bottom and sort of next to the perineum, that's where my pain is now. It's not excruciating, but it's a sharp punchy kind of pain whenever I have a BM and it's usually not all the way through only where the BM is at its biggest. I'm also experiencing the odd twinge when sat down or moving about, although not too bad (so far, anyway). Really desperately hoping this all continues on the upwards trajectory, so don't want to go backwards. Am keeping up my diet for at least another 4 weeks, alongside my lactulose and stool softeners as don't want to think I'm healed and go out and have a burger only to set myself right back! I have a follow up appointment with my consultant on Friday 11th Nov, so hoping he will tell me I am healing 🙏. I'm so sorry to hear you have also been in the wars with your knee on top of this affliction, it's just so debilitating isn't it. And this affliction isn't really anything you want to talk about with others all that much either! I really hope we both get better, roll on healing and recovery for us both and everyone else suffering from this.....we will beat it! I'll definitely keep you updated when we go to the caravan.....it's quite a nice one it's brand new and has a tiny but fully fitted kitchen with hob, oven, fridge and a freezer draw, shower and loo and sleeps 4-6. Hubby said I could take whatever food I needed with me so I can stick to my diet and we'll just chill out. So I'm looking forward to it more now. 🙂

• Posted

Sounds like a nice getaway. I guess it will be fine as long as you can keep up your normal diet and routine.

I went back to work yesterday. I am a swimming teacher, so sticking to a routine is gonna start getting difficult. Yesterday I was super scared to get in the water because I was worried about it burning or stinging down there.. surprisingly it actually weirdly soothed it. I don't understand the chemistry but it is a magnesium salt based pool, so maybe that is gonna work in my favour. I also put a lot of sudocrem on before I went in as a barrier.

And then today I had my first pain free day in 3 weeks! 🙌 celebrate good times. I never thought the highlight of my whole month would be taking a dump in peace. But here we are. 3 actually. I have successfully had 3 pain free BMs now. And gone back to work! So I feel like this is a very good sign that things are moving in the right direction.

My take away for today for anyone else reading is that if you are gonna use sudocrem, which is zinc based, it doesn't really come off. So you're gonna have a white bum for awhile. But it is apparently also good for healing, not just as a barrier cream for swimming.

I hope you are doing good Paula. Let me know how your follow up goes. Onwards and Upwards.

• Posted

Wow, first pain free BMs in 3 weeks, that is something to celebrate! Ha, I know it feels like an odd thing to feel happy about, but I totally hear you. I'm currently going 2x daily, the one first thing is usually a bit painful, like a nasty pile, but the second one in the afternoon is often pain free which is such a nice feeling! But I'm really struggling with joints and muscles in my arms and legs....so pain is inevitable for me for a while it seems 😑. I need a blood test for them to understand what's causing the joint and muscle pain. They've given me codeine for it, but I'm not going to take it as it constipates the life out of you and I really don't need that! I'm still bleeding a bit, especially with the morning BM, not a lot, but it's bugging me, as it feels like that's where the sentinel pile was that was excised used to be and the scar of it has reopened and I think that's the pain I get in the morning BM. It doesn't feel like the awful fissure razor blade pain, just like a nasty pile pain. Guess I'll find out whats going on on Friday at my follow up appt. I will definitely update you! Your magnesium salt pool definitely sounds like it will work in your favour, I think it may help heal you more quickly. I restarted my sitz baths today, my instructions from the hospital were to wait 2 weeks, but it's nearly that and I think they really help, plus I feel cleaner after a BM. I did try sudocrem before my botox, but both times it stung like hell, so I'm a bit wary of trying it again, although I have heard a lot of people say it helped them heal. Will ask consultant about it on Friday. Roll on healing and full recovery for us both! Oh, and NEVER having a recurrence!

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I hope you're continuing with the pain free run. I had my consultant appointment on Friday and it went as well as can be expected at this stage, he's happy I'm healing and discharged me from his care, unless things go downhill, which I'm desperately hoping they don't. I have an excision scar from the sentinel pile that was removed, that does hurt and bleed when I have a BM, which is a bit frustrating, but it's nowhere as bad as the fissure pain. I had a look for the first time, it is just a small round wound not on the bumhole, kind of next to it almost half on the perineum. consultant said I should heal in a month but it's important to keep stools soft. Now I'm in the caravan with hubby, loo is tiny, sitz baths are a hassle! but am keeping them up. Eating a bit of a worry too, hubby is very supportive but he needs this break too and wants yo enjoy food, so I think I'll just have to eat salads and vegetable dishes. And I've got provisions for eating in, so that's ok. Just really hoping this trip doesn't set me back! Hope you're doing good Danielle.

• Posted

Hey Paula. Sorry it's been a minute since coming on here. I went back to work and trying to manage everything has been exhausting. I am still pain free thank goodness. Today it's been a bit irritated.. but not painful.. I'm not sure why but it's a bit scratchy and stingy. Oh well, as long as there's no pain or blood, I think I'm still good. I'm still using all the softeners and fibre etc.. trying to keep up the Veggies and salad but that gets so boring and I just want a pizza. haha.

I hope you can manage to enjoy your holiday despite the challenges. Good to hear the doc says you are healing well.

I didn't have my pile removed so I'm not sure what that pain is like. I want mine gone. but maybe not after hearing that it hurts. It's not really causing me any harm.. and doc reckons it's unimportant.. so maybe I'll leave it alone. I am scared for when the botox wears off because it seems to be working well for me. My follow up is in a few weeks, so fingers crossed all is good.

• Posted

hi Danielle, no worries about delayed response, it must be busy trying to fit in all the fissure paraphernalia and routine after going back to work! Im glad to hear you're doing well and pain free. I'm going back to work next week, my boss is also my friend so she knows what I'm dealing with and has been really sympathetic. I hear you in wanting pizza lol. Last week when we were away I was having to choose really healthy stuff in pubs and restaurants when all I wanted was a burger and chips! Hubby was stuffing his face with all sorts, ut was soooo hard! Not worth the pain though. I'm getting on OK, still bleeding a bit after a BM. I've had a letter from my consultant after my follow up summarising and it is one of the fissures that is still a little bit open, but he reckons it will fully healed in a month or so. It's a little bit painful when having a BM, but not afterwards and nowhere near the level of pain I had before botox. I just hope the damn thing heals before the botox wears off! I was annoyed today, as despite all my efforts with a veggie diet, laxatives and stool softeners I couldn't go this morning. This really stressed me out, had to take a Laxido and that did get things going in a gentle way, but honestly, i could have done without that. Why does my body have to be so contrary when all I'm doing is trying to help it?! Frustrating. But even though the fissure did bleed again, it wasn't very much and it's only when I have a BM. No pain after. Guess I just need to keep up the sitz baths and all my ointments as well as laxatives and diet. Really cannot wait to have a burger and chips!!

• Posted

What is your laxative/stool softener regime? I only take the osmolax at night (the kids dose), and that's all I need. Anymore than that, and I'm going all day. Maybe you couldn't go because you were psychologically anticipating pain.. that happens to me.. when I'm scared I can't go.

I have stopped eating nuts because they don't digest fully and the other day it hurt when I went because there were sharp pieces in my stool (too much info sorry). All it takes is a little hard bit to scrape past the fissure and it stings. Freaked me out, so I stopped the nuts. Shame, I was enjoying them. I could really go for a burger and fries right now. At least I'm losing the weight I wanted to lose. I've kind of been forced to. My friends said to me the other night that I was crazy ordering a salad at an Italian restaurant. They were ordering chicken parmigiana, carbonara, pizza, cheesy toast, cocktails.. and here I was with my salad and water. Sucks. It was a nice salad, but still. They don't understand.

• Posted

my laxative regime is lactulose am and pm and Dulcoease (stool softeners) after every meal (two after dinner as its my biggest meal). I do tend to go twice a day though. I think you may have been right about the not going on Saturday being psychological......it's annoying isn't it! Been twice again today, both times no pain, only a bit of blood this morning and none this afternoon. Keeping up the sitz baths and the veggie routine. Hungry a lot of the time so sneaking in half a slice of wholemeal bread and butter before lunch sometimes! Ouch, the nut thing sounds painful. That is such a shame, I love nuts, but won't be going there for a while as your experience resonated with what I've read on other forums. Literally a bummer! I feel for you when you went out with friends at an Italian restaurant and just had a salad and water whilst watching everyone else having all the yummy things! That's what it was like when hubby and I went to Wales, although at least there was only one of him! It's so hard isn't it, but you're right, others don't understand it, they don't know the pain. I never did until it happened to me! For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing, we have to remember this isn't forever, it's just while we heal. In time, we will be able to have that burger and fries, and not face any painful repercussions please God!

• Posted

Hi! This blog has been a BLESSING! I have been dealing with a chronic anal fissure for a year now and have finally caved to get botox. I just got my injection a couple hours ago and Ive been keeping on top of this blog for weeks. I finally had to make an account to say thanks for making me feel less alone in this torture. Its meant so much!!

• Posted

Hey Mic. I'm glad you've found comfort in this blog. If you have any questions or just wanna vent, go for it. You're certainly not alone in this. And I think you've made the right choice with Botox. Mine was chronic and I thought it was too late for me, but I've been pain free for 10 days now.

• Posted

Hi Mic, gosh you have my sympathetic dealing with this God awful thing for a year, like Danielle. I had it for a week and was in such pain I went straight o my dr! Then when 3 weeks of Rectogesic hadn't done much, I went private to a local colorectal surgeon who did my botox! I never thought the first place I'd ever have botox on my body would be my ar$e, but hey, if if works, who cares! I really hope botox works for you, my consultant thinks I'll get away with not needing more treatment and I hope to God he's right, but if I do need LIS surgery, I'm taking it! No way will i live with that razor blade pain. People who haven't had it just don't get how debilitating it is. Sending you healing vibes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.