BOTOX for BPH

Posted , 5 users are following.

There has been a lot of chatter about botox treatment for bph.There is no doctor in the US who will do it and it has not been approved by the FDA.

Has it been approved in the UK? In Europe?Germany,France,Switzerland?

Does any one in this blog-community have any information on this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't believe that it has been accepted as viable. We've heard nothing about it here that I'm aware of. Look into PAE, it looks intersting.

There is a wealth of information in these threads about all BPH procedures.

Good luck, Ron 

• Posted

Google PAE BPH. They block the flow of blood to certain prostate arteries to starve and shrink that portion of the prostate. I know that sometimes it doesn't work so well. I would want to see a few studies comparing it to other methods but I'll bet it has promise once it's perfected. Let us know what procedure you choose and good luck!!

Ron

• Posted

There iis a doc in US who does it. I willl try and get back later with his name
    • Posted

I know there is at least one doctor here in the U.S. that will do botox for bph because I spoke to his office about six months ago.Unfortunately, I have misplaced my notes but will get back if I find them.

The way I got in touch was to call around a few different doctors who had their names attached to the botox studies. So if you don't here back from me, that would be one way to go about it yourself.

What I do remember from the conversation was that it was quite expensive and not covered by my insurance. And while I believe this doctor had extensive experience in one of the major botox studies, apparently he had only done one or two of these procedures in private practice, according to his office.

I'll let you know if I find more and please do the same if you come up with something first.

You might also check with Mayo because I believe I saw an article and youtube video from them on this.

Richard

• Posted

From my understanding the botox is put into the bladder not the prostate.
    • Posted

I think you're mixing up Botox for overactive bladder and botox for BPH. Two different things. With Botox for BPH, they inject right into the prostate. Not only does it supposedly relax the prostate, but it might shrink it as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.