Botox for Urge Incontinence

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been told I may need botox injected into me to help with my urine urge incontinence.

Has anyone else had this treatment.  Where abouts do they inject the botox, and was it sucessful.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colin....i've had 2 lots of Botox. I would like to have another course, but i am currently having TNS.

The treatment involves having multiple Botox injections into the bladder. (I had 32) It's injected high up all around the bladder. I watched on the screen as they did it. It doesn't hurt, but you do feel slight pricking sensations. Afterwards i was taken back into a room, given a drink and allowed to go home after i'd been to the toilet. It doesn't take long. In my case it took a couple of weeks to kick in. Unfortunately mine only lasted for 4-5 months each time but it can last for up to 2 years.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Helen

Thank you so much for replying.

Do you have to have repeat sessions of injections until the symptons subsides.  Also I've been told I have to shave off my pubic hair.  It seems a bit OTT, but if thats what is required then I'll do it.

Thanks Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin...no you don't need a repeat of the injections it's a one off procedure. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in after. I had 2 lots in 18 months. After that they wouldn't give me anymore for the time being which was the reason i've gone onto the TNS treatment. As for your other question....no. No need. Hope that helps.

• Posted

This is a procedure that has been suggested to me as a possibility in the past but I’ve been unsure what I feel about it, partly as it may not last for more than a few months. May I ask during the time it lasted, was your incontinence completely gone? When symptoms returned did they return suddenly or gradually? Thank you.

I’d be interested to know has anyone else had a good or bad experience.

• Posted

Hi Ginny...during the time that the Botox lasted i had no symptoms which to me was brilliant!! Unfortunately mine only lasted for 3-4 months when i noticed the symptoms gradually coming back. I would definitely give it a go. I now have TNS treatment that i didn't think was really working, but after i had to cancel an appointment at Christmas i realised it really does work. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you Helen That is helpful to know. I’m glad it worked for you even if for a short time. Hope maybe they let you have it again in future. I haven’t heard of TNS, is that nerve stimulation? I’m glad it’s helping a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.