Botox injections into oesophagus yesterday

Posted , 4 users are following.

After 15 years with Alchalesia and difficulty with food passing into my stomach I finally had Botox injections yesterday. During the endoscopy the dr said the valve at the bottom of my oesophagus was really tight and he's hoping the Botox will help me.

Has anyone had success stories with Botox?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi Jordan

Sorry I have no experience of having Botox but I did look into it for a while

I have recently had a robotic hellers (last week) .

Before this i was given the option of having Botox , after looking into to it I decided to go for the Hellers . The main reason I didnt try the botox or the balloon dilation was I didnt want to weeken my sphincter trying these other procedures . I know the other procedures can work , I suppose alot depends on what your Doctor or in my case Surgoen advises , the type of Achalasia you have makes a difference also .

I have Type 1 , I know some Types respond to treatments differently .

The hellers has worked well for me .

I hope you have luck with your treatment .

Thanks

John

• Posted

Hey, Did you have Hellers 1 week ago? and you already feel perfectly fine?

Im 6 weeks after... still hard to swallow

• Posted

Sorry to hear that

Yes I could swallow much better hours after my op

My surgeon was very good

Where did you have your op

• Posted

In Israel. 

I could also swallow much better immediately after the surgery, but the problem still exists (gets better every week). I was told to wait 3 months before making final conclusions. I hope they don't lie

• Posted

I hope so to

Should be fine , only time will tell

I have not tried solid foods yet , just soft foods at the moment

Not sleeping to well since op , probably be better once my wounds heal , I have 7 cuts as they had trouble getting into the right areas first time around .

Hope your feeling better

John

• Posted

It is general advice given by other surgeons as well to wait until things settle down.   It is a very delicate thing affecting the nerve endings, so waiting to see how much you improve is sensible.
  • Posted

There is a generally good outcome with botox, and it can bring benefits.   Around 50% of people find within three months that the effect wears off, and that the lower oesophageal sphincter does not get trained into being more flexible in a sustained way.   So I think the doctor is quite right in expressing hopes, which we would all share, that this does the trick.   So it is a reason for being cautiously optimistic that this will really help, but without being too surprised if, in due course, the relief is temporary.
  • Posted

Also a good thing to remember is there are other treatments available should the Botox fail to work .

One thing to bear in mind is from what i understand , each time you have Botox it can cause scaring on your sphincter which may affect other alternatives along the line .

I am not sure , but I think most Botox injections last a limited time

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.