Botox is losing effectiveness

Posted , 4 users are following.

After shingles to the right side of my face and head and trying drugs acupuncture etc. I have undergone 4 series of Botox injections,the first 3 really helped, along with lidocaine cream and occasional patches if things got bad. This time the effect of the Botox is much less, has anyone experience of this happening?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

David. I have found great relief from Post Herpetic Neuralgia pain by applying a topical treatment.

My mixture is 250 grams of Invite Vitamin E cream, two five gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream, and 65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel. Mix thoroughly, apply sparingly, rub in well so the skin absorbs the mixture.

This treatment is very effective for pain relief, and it can be applied as often as required, without harmful affects. It also has an ongoing benefit of preventing further Shingles outbreaks.

You may find this treatment useful for your problem.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

Raymond hi,

I did get your topical mixture made up by my chemist, however, and  unfortunately it hasnt worked for me though.

• Posted

Hi David,

I'm having my first Botox treatment on July 5. Nothing else has worked for me.

I have had shingles for 18 months to the left side of my forehead, scalp and eyebrow.

I was  hoping to hear a more positive outcome, but wil keep you posted as to how my treatment goes.

• Posted

Hi Catherine, don't be downhearted it is worth going for, it takes 2-3 weeks to really cut in, then it does help. This last time not as much, maybe other factors including family stress came into it. Even so I have always had to re enforce from time to time with Lidocaine cream, which gives me instant short term relief.

Hope it goes well for you Catherine.

• Posted

Hi David,

Thank you for your positive reply.

The Lidocane cream you mentioned, can you give me more info on it, is it a prescription cream?

Catherine

• Posted

Hi Catherine, the cream is on Prescription in the UK, but you can get it on line. Known as EMLA cream.

Your Doctor should prescribe if you persist, mine did in the end. The patches are good too.

Hope the injection helps, I now have one side of my forehead with no wrinkles, sadly our health system would not pay for the other side too!

David

• Posted

Catherine. I am sorry to hear that you did not get relief from my Post Herpetic Neuralgia treatment. Perhaps your problem is not the result of Shingles, but one of the many alternative complaints, that require different treatment. It may be worth investigating further.

I hope you find a successful treatment.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

How effective has botox been for you, or any other people following this? I was thinking of asking my GP about it. 

I also have PHN on the left side of my face and head, and so far have been trying to find a good combination of medications. The side effects are starting to take their toll however. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.