Skip to content

Postherpetic Neuralgia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • PHN-life and death

Recently read that PHN is the leading cause for suicide among seniors. Having suffered with PHN since 2012 and being over 60 myself I can understand how that can be. Since the shingles virus has been around for decades my question is how was this horrendous affliction dealt with 75/100yrs ago? No cure...

Last reply
  • Link between PHN & B12 deficiency?

I'm 2+ years recovering from Post herpetic neuralgia right torso. I had a positive intense reaction to a b12 shot  about 6 months ago and felt my nerves come alive & huge return of energy and feeling like me again. Continuing to heal and it feels like that gave a boost (acupuncture >1...

Last reply
  • Periods of remission, feel hopeful, then hopes dashed

I am approaching the six-month mark since this all started, and am adjusting to the probability that I am going to be stuck with this for quite some time.  Mercifully, the pain has not been constant.  Hours can go by when I don't notice any pain at all. I haven't had a pain-free day...

Last reply
  • 2 years after shingles and still itching eye and forehead

It is now over 2 years since I had shingles in my right eye, on my forehead and head, I still have the itching problem every day, and nothing seems to stop this, I have bought expensive creams/gels hoping that something would work but it doesn't, I always end up using  sudocrem and although...

Last reply
  • Have you served in the military?

I’ve been suffering from chronic shingles and PHN for nearly 15 years...I’m also a veteran of the military. I was chatting with an expert in motor neuron disease and apparently there’s a solid correlation to the multitude of vaccinations given. Curious how many people in this group might be in the same...

Last reply
  • Side effects?

Hi everyone. While trying to find ways to control the pain of PHN I am experiencing a side effect of some med? I have been taking 400mg of Lyrica for almost 2 years. Over the last 6 weeks or so I have begun to experience excessive hair fall. Could be stress or another med. But wondering if anyone else...

Last reply
  • ANYTHING would be GREAT

I am 38 and have had PHN for over 2 years now. It is on my left bra line side. Needless to say, wearing a bra is not my favorite thing to do. I literally have tried EVERYTHING that is out there, that I am aware of. In the first year did gabapentin, low dose anti depressant, pain pills, acupuncture, Capsacin...

Last reply
  • Scarred cornea and ch phn from shingles

I've been dealing with PHN and blurred vision,headaches, tearing,droop eye for seven years. I was out of work for 3 mos. Trying to recover.Bottom line no way to rest your eye. But shingles is like having flu, knocks you out.My eye doctor keeps me on valtrex forever as a preventative measure. I still...

Last reply
  • has anyone received disability for PHN?

I have been on LTD for almost one year due to my condition.  working 20 hours per week...I have to go back to work full time in 6 weeks and I am still in excruciating pain at night. How can I do this?  I barely sleep even with opiate drugs and take Lyrica all day.  I fall asleep spontaneously...

Last reply
  • Injections in to muscle spasam

Hi,  So I’ve been treated with phn for near on 6 years now but only get speradic bouts of uncontrollable pain. In the last 6 months I’ve been having issues with the muscles in the upper right hand side of my back from shoulder blade to mid back. I’ve tried Physio that refuse to touch me as my muscle...

Last reply
  • Relief of PHN pain with laser therapy

I was doing some research online and came across a procedure for pain relief. It's called Cold Laser therapy or Low Level Laser therapy. I was wondering if anyone with PHN has tried any kind of laser therapy. I can't find any blogs where people with PHN have tried this. The theory behind the...

Last reply
  • Nerve ablation

what is the outcome ..it does not sound that positive overall..Merry. Can we get yr excellent expertise,

Posted
  • PHN patient or ADDICT?

I've had PHN for almost 2 yrs. Have tried every treatment on this earth and only one pain med has worked for me. The doc wanted me to switch to a different pain med now, so I said OK, lets try and did. I had bad pain and took a few extra pain pills before I was able to get in for an urgent appointment...

Last reply
  • PHN things that help

If anyone has found things that help, please share them. I know everyone wants to talk about their pain, which is all I'm finding on here, which I totally understand. But Please if anyone has found any little things that help please share.

Last reply
  • steroid injections for shingles pain

The first day my rash appeared I saw my dermatologist who diagnosed shingles and gave me an anti-viral medicine. The rash went through the typical stages of blisters, scabs, and eventally fading in color. But , as many here have described, the pain was unbearable on my left shoulder blade, left underarm,...

Last reply
  • Information needed

Hi new to group, joined this group on behalf of my mom who has suffered chronic pain for years. She suffered with shingles before I was born im now nearly 25 and still haven't found a treatment that helps the severity of the pain. Not sure on exactlys etc. But know she's already had injections,...

Last reply
  • Electric shock-like pain

I've had PHN for about 2 years with ongoing, mostly manageable nerve pain. Just recently, I've started having extremely painful, momentary electric-shock-like pain. Has anyone experienced this type of change in PHN pain?

Last reply
  • PHN Pain Triggers

I have been trying to keep track of possible triggers for my pain attacks. This might be a good forum to share and for others to share anything they might have noticed caused their pain to flare up.  The pain for me is on the upper left side of my face, forehead and scalp - so a pretty exposed...

Last reply
  • PHN and new shingles vaccine

As you might know, FDA has approved a new and improved shingles vaccine.  Under CDC guidelines, it is recommended for people over 50, EXCEPT those with an active case such as rash .  I had shingles over 1 1/2 years ago and have PHN.  I do not have a rash like initial outbreak but  the...

Last reply
  • Facebook for PHN Discussions?? I'm not sure I want to go there

I decided to check and see if there's a FB group for PHN, there is. I got accepted so I got to read the comments. It was interesting as quite early I read about a book that Ruth just recommended. But I'll be honest. Here, we can be anonymous and free to truly open up about our problems. I wouldn't...

Last reply
  • Gab and PHN-Throw something? Cry? Give up? Now what?

Hi all, many of you know me here, diagnosed October 2016, PHN since then. Since then I use Aspercreme pain cream with Lidocaine, Extra Strength Tylenol 3 times a day (both of those were 4 times at day at my worst), I was at 2700 MG of Gab, now at 1200, and a prescription anti-inflammatory I'd been...

Last reply
  • Depression with PHN?

Anyone have depression with PHN?  I'm a retired psychologist with 26 years of PHN in right eye, forehead and scalp.  I have nothing to gain .  I have learned very helpful ways to manage depression and PHN, and have worked with many patients with chronic pain and depression.  If...

Last reply
  • Low grade fever that doesn't go away!

I've had 5 outbreaks of shingles in same area in last 21 months and think I'm on the verge of another outbreak. I'm almost constantly dealing with low grade fever, fatigue and just not feeling good. Typically it occurs a week or 10 days before an outbreak and will last one month after the...

Last reply
  • An Unexpected Treasure

Wanted to share a great website I discovered by chance. The resources it provides alone makes the website a gem.💍 The website is Pain News Network. Org Hope it has something to offer each of us.😁

Posted
  • Dilema: More pain or brain fog? Which is worse

I've had PHN for almost a year now in my back/chest. I've been able to "manage" it with Gab, Aspercreme 4% Lidocaine, Tylenol and a prescription NSAID and Charlie's CBT "it will get better, I won't always feel like this". As I've slowly had improvement I've...

Last reply
  • Topical antiseptic recommendations

Have been using Dixie dew for quite some time but appears they are out of business and no longer available. For itching and burning this worked quite well. Active ingredients were AS Alcohol 40, Camphor, Boric Acid Other ingredients water, menthol, liquid phenol, peppermint, pennyroyal Mainly...

Last reply
  • PHN in the trigeminal nerve, does anyone else suffer this?

postherpetic trigeminal neuralgia, PHTN for short, I have been suffering for three years. I contacted a local support group and the person I spoke with had the same disease for 30 years, but told me she had met lots of trigeminal and phn suffers but never someone who had both. Having both conditions...

Last reply
  • Winning the PHN Battle?

Hello all, I've been a lurker here for a while and have been reading your posts because my mother (age 50) has unfortunately contracted shingles on October 2017 on the right side of her face and scalp (including her eye). Extreme shooting pain/stabs, screams, sobbing, etc. Then the rash cleared...

Last reply
  • Going green

Has anyone had any experience with medical marijuana to help with treatment? On the balance of things, there are less side-effects and addictive-tendencies than opiates, and given the pharmacological actions and processes of PHN, marijuana would seem to have a lot more positive than the majority of prescribed...

Last reply
  • Pain contol

Good morning all. Yesterday was a rough day for me and I threw  everything in the arsenal at my PHN. Routine Lyrica (take 400 msg daily), put on two lidocaine patches, used my heating paid and took (over 24 hrs) a total of 30mg of 10/325 oxycodone. Finally got some relief.  The pain med use...

Last reply
  • My Humerous Story of Pain, Depression, Fatigue, & Isolation

I sure don't want to bring anybody down. I also want you to know that I laugh at myself many times a day for how pathetic I have become since I got ShIngles and subsequently PHN. Yes I said pathetic. Just stating the facts as I smile as I am writing. My journey with PHN as been very tough. I assure...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.