Skip to content

Postherpetic Neuralgia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Gab and PHN-Throw something? Cry? Give up? Now what?

Hi all, many of you know me here, diagnosed October 2016, PHN since then. Since then I use Aspercreme pain cream with Lidocaine, Extra Strength Tylenol 3 times a day (both of those were 4 times at day at my worst), I was at 2700 MG of Gab, now at 1200, and a prescription anti-inflammatory I'd been...

Last reply
  • PHN and new shingles vaccine

As you might know, FDA has approved a new and improved shingles vaccine.  Under CDC guidelines, it is recommended for people over 50, EXCEPT those with an active case such as rash .  I had shingles over 1 1/2 years ago and have PHN.  I do not have a rash like initial outbreak but  the...

Last reply
  • PHN in the trigeminal nerve, does anyone else suffer this?

postherpetic trigeminal neuralgia, PHTN for short, I have been suffering for three years. I contacted a local support group and the person I spoke with had the same disease for 30 years, but told me she had met lots of trigeminal and phn suffers but never someone who had both. Having both conditions...

Last reply
  • PHN Pain Triggers

I have been trying to keep track of possible triggers for my pain attacks. This might be a good forum to share and for others to share anything they might have noticed caused their pain to flare up.  The pain for me is on the upper left side of my face, forehead and scalp - so a pretty exposed...

Last reply
  • PHN-life and death

Recently read that PHN is the leading cause for suicide among seniors. Having suffered with PHN since 2012 and being over 60 myself I can understand how that can be. Since the shingles virus has been around for decades my question is how was this horrendous affliction dealt with 75/100yrs ago? No cure...

Last reply
  • Winning the PHN Battle?

Hello all, I've been a lurker here for a while and have been reading your posts because my mother (age 50) has unfortunately contracted shingles on October 2017 on the right side of her face and scalp (including her eye). Extreme shooting pain/stabs, screams, sobbing, etc. Then the rash cleared...

Last reply
  • Going green

Has anyone had any experience with medical marijuana to help with treatment? On the balance of things, there are less side-effects and addictive-tendencies than opiates, and given the pharmacological actions and processes of PHN, marijuana would seem to have a lot more positive than the majority of prescribed...

Last reply
  • Pain contol

Good morning all. Yesterday was a rough day for me and I threw  everything in the arsenal at my PHN. Routine Lyrica (take 400 msg daily), put on two lidocaine patches, used my heating paid and took (over 24 hrs) a total of 30mg of 10/325 oxycodone. Finally got some relief.  The pain med use...

Last reply
  • My Humerous Story of Pain, Depression, Fatigue, & Isolation

I sure don't want to bring anybody down. I also want you to know that I laugh at myself many times a day for how pathetic I have become since I got ShIngles and subsequently PHN. Yes I said pathetic. Just stating the facts as I smile as I am writing. My journey with PHN as been very tough. I assure...

Last reply
  • PHN and Ketamine anyone tried it?

i have seen 60-90 percent success rates in several different chronic pain cases. My friend has gone for the infusion, takes 5 days and can come with side effects. My Pharma and dr. Got great results threw the nasal spray. i have been rubbing it on my skin with GABA, one of the few things that helps...

Last reply
  • Cyber knife treatment

Last month I had cyber knife treatment for my shingles on  right side of my lip. It was given for three days for 35 minutes each time. It has not helped. It is more painful now.Also I have more saliva in my mouth. Is anyone had this treatment? Any reaction? Ramesh

Last reply
  • Cognitive Behavior Therapy [CBT] for PHN people

On the "Depression with PHN?" forum, I've talked about CBT as probably the most effective and quickest route to decreasing depression.  On this forum, I hope to offer some more detailed guidance toward using CBT.  I'm thinking of offering maybe a weekly suggestion for thought...

Last reply
  • Continuing pain after herpes where the rash was ...

I had herpes along my upper abdomen over the rib area and around to my back on that side ...  it has been 2 months now since the outbreak and the pain is better but that area over where the rash was still hurts and sometimes little stabbing jabs .. is this normal for some ..I am 71 yrs and fairly...

Last reply
  • Today is “one of those days...”

Wanted to thank Charlie,Babs, Tiffany and all who have posted on this site. Today is a very difficult day and it is helpful to re-read past posts. Helps to alleviate the feeling of being isolated with PHN. Hopeful 2018 will be a better year for all. Jeaneen 

Last reply
  • Can PHN pain move from the original site ?

Hi everybody .. I am recovering from shingles for 5 months now, it affected my right had side , it started with back pain . Which I though was a kidney infection .. The rash appeared around my waist down around my tummy .. I have had PHN in that are which is bareable , burning...

Last reply
  • Nerve ablation

In a few days I'm going back to see the anesthesiologist to discuss whether I'm going to have nerve ablation, a procedure where they burn out the nerve with an electrical spark. I have PHN on the right side of the head, it means permanent headaches. I've had it nearly two years and it could...

Last reply
  • PHN on Left Chest

I had Shingles on my right chest that did a arcing rash from the middle front to middle back on the right side of my torso. I had the rash and it was extremely painful. The rash and pain went away in about 2 months, but ever since I've been dealing with nerve pain on the opposite side of my chest....

Last reply
  • PHN TREATMENTS

I’ve suffered with PHN damage for 3 years now. Since having my daughter 15 months ago the pain is more often and more server.  Some times bad enough for morphine shots at the hospital. I luckily do not suffer with this on a daily bases but it’s becoming more often then not now and I’m at a loss...

Last reply
  • Excruciating Pain After Shingles

I'm experiencing excruciating pain like nothing I've previously known. The shingles rash is almost entirely gone, but now I have hypersensitivity in the areas where the rash was. My rash was also in one of the worst places - on the left side of my genital area up to my tailbone. I have a tingling,...

Last reply
  • Post herpetic neuralgia

I had shingles in march 06 . I have a stressful job and busy life. I got acyclovir within 24hours and took time off owrk. AT times my pain was controlled with paracetamol and codeine however aftr 3months thiings were not significantly better so i tried amitryptaline, unfortunately this made me very drowsy....

Last reply
  • Scarred cornea and ch phn from shingles

I've been dealing with PHN and blurred vision,headaches, tearing,droop eye for seven years. I was out of work for 3 mos. Trying to recover.Bottom line no way to rest your eye. But shingles is like having flu, knocks you out.My eye doctor keeps me on valtrex forever as a preventative measure. I still...

Last reply
  • Intermittent pain

I’m interested to know if anyone suffers with intermittent nerve flare ups with there post herpetic neuralgia? Mine only occurs occasionally but when it does nine times out of ten only Iv morphine will mask the pain. I’ve seen a surgical consultant recently who had just referred me to Physio as he feels...

Last reply
  • Marijuana and PHN

I had shingles of the eye a year ago.  My ophthalmologist really saved my eyesight - he caught it early (after 2 days).  I have PHN of top of head, left forehead.  I'm on 1800mgs. gabapentin, lidocaine(4% OTC).  Have been on the other drugs mentioned here, Nortryptolene(this helped...

Last reply
  • Had my first case of Shingles when I was 12 years old

you read that right....I was 12. Since then, I've had two additional documented cases and hundreds of flare ups. With a flare up, I have no blisters, no rash and no crusting over. Only pain, burning, sensitivity to clothing, blankets, shoes...Recently my legs have started twitching  (in the...

Last reply
  • Dilema: More pain or brain fog? Which is worse

I've had PHN for almost a year now in my back/chest. I've been able to "manage" it with Gab, Aspercreme 4% Lidocaine, Tylenol and a prescription NSAID and Charlie's CBT "it will get better, I won't always feel like this". As I've slowly had improvement I've...

Last reply
  • Depression with PHN?

Anyone have depression with PHN?  I'm a retired psychologist with 26 years of PHN in right eye, forehead and scalp.  I have nothing to gain .  I have learned very helpful ways to manage depression and PHN, and have worked with many patients with chronic pain and depression.  If...

Last reply
  • PHN

Hi I am 14 years old. I got the shingles when I was 12 and started to fell the effects of PHN about 6 months later. It has been ongoing for about a year now. Recently, it began to hurt so much to the point where I can't concentrate in class. I have been using lidocaine and salonpas patches on my...

Last reply
  • Clothing solutions

Hi I've been suffering with PHN for over 6 months now and one of the most difficult aspects for me is being able to get clothing that allows me to go out. I have pain in my back and side and have been unable to keep cream in place without the patch moving and causing me pain.  I can't wear...

Last reply
  • EMA401 Drug Trials

Does anybody know anybody who was or is involved in the trials for the new drug EMA401? Sounds promising! "A new drug treatment has been found to be effective against chronic pain in patients who have had shingles. The researchers hope that the drug might also be effective against other causes...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.