Skip to content
Ad

Postherpetic Neuralgia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Excruciating Pain After Shingles

I'm experiencing excruciating pain like nothing I've previously known. The shingles rash is almost entirely gone, but now I have hypersensitivity in the areas where the rash was. My rash was also in one of the worst places - on the left side of my genital area up to my tailbone. I have a tingling,...

Last reply
  • Scarred cornea and ch phn from shingles

I've been dealing with PHN and blurred vision,headaches, tearing,droop eye for seven years. I was out of work for 3 mos. Trying to recover.Bottom line no way to rest your eye. But shingles is like having flu, knocks you out.My eye doctor keeps me on valtrex forever as a preventative measure. I still...

Last reply
  • PHN-life and death

Recently read that PHN is the leading cause for suicide among seniors. Having suffered with PHN since 2012 and being over 60 myself I can understand how that can be. Since the shingles virus has been around for decades my question is how was this horrendous affliction dealt with 75/100yrs ago? No cure...

Last reply
  • PHN

Hi I am 14 years old. I got the shingles when I was 12 and started to fell the effects of PHN about 6 months later. It has been ongoing for about a year now. Recently, it began to hurt so much to the point where I can't concentrate in class. I have been using lidocaine and salonpas patches on my...

Last reply
  • PHN on Left Chest

I had Shingles on my right chest that did a arcing rash from the middle front to middle back on the right side of my torso. I had the rash and it was extremely painful. The rash and pain went away in about 2 months, but ever since I've been dealing with nerve pain on the opposite side of my chest....

Last reply
  • Clothing solutions

Hi I've been suffering with PHN for over 6 months now and one of the most difficult aspects for me is being able to get clothing that allows me to go out. I have pain in my back and side and have been unable to keep cream in place without the patch moving and causing me pain.  I can't wear...

Last reply
  • Dilema: More pain or brain fog? Which is worse

I've had PHN for almost a year now in my back/chest. I've been able to "manage" it with Gab, Aspercreme 4% Lidocaine, Tylenol and a prescription NSAID and Charlie's CBT "it will get better, I won't always feel like this". As I've slowly had improvement I've...

Last reply
  • EMA401 Drug Trials

Does anybody know anybody who was or is involved in the trials for the new drug EMA401? Sounds promising! "A new drug treatment has been found to be effective against chronic pain in patients who have had shingles. The researchers hope that the drug might also be effective against other causes...

Last reply
  • Depression with PHN?

Anyone have depression with PHN?  I'm a retired psychologist with 26 years of PHN in right eye, forehead and scalp.  I have nothing to gain .  I have learned very helpful ways to manage depression and PHN, and have worked with many patients with chronic pain and depression.  If...

Last reply
  • PHN on eyes resulting in an unrelenting headache

I have been suffering for 18 months with a debilitating headache after a shingles outbreak on my eye. I have tried every injection possible and even have a neurotransmitter implanted. (Which is of no help at all and am scheduled to have it removed. ) due to the location of the outbreak I cannot use any...

Last reply
  • 19 months and still struggling

hi all ,I've had this dreaded PHN for 19 months ,I take 8 pain killers a day prescribed by my oncoligests,my sleep patten is terrible,I'm in pain 24/7 feels like I'm being clamped in a vice,the pain is around my torso front and back mainly the right side ,it even hurts when I walk,there just...

Last reply
  • Is what I have PHN?

I got the shingles about 2.5 months ago under my left arm, and while the pain when the rash was there was not so bad (caught it early), I have not felt like myself since then. I first started feeling severe back pain - I’ve had slipped discs before so I thought it was another episode - but the symptoms...

Last reply
  • PNH and Orgasm

Anyone experience muted orgasm after shingles ? Have has MRI that shows nothing untoward   Could it be connected to scar tissue pressing on nerves ? I had a outbreak on left rear and now orgasm is muted  Any comments / advice welcome  Thanks  James  James 

Last reply
  • What does PHN pain feel like

I had shingles around the right side of my back and stomach over 2 years ago, since then I quite often get a dull ache around my thoracic spine area and into my rib cage beneath my breast, then other times my entire back aches. I also often get itchy in the area where the shingles rash was. I've...

Last reply
  • Cognitive Behavior Therapy [CBT] for PHN people

On the "Depression with PHN?" forum, I've talked about CBT as probably the most effective and quickest route to decreasing depression.  On this forum, I hope to offer some more detailed guidance toward using CBT.  I'm thinking of offering maybe a weekly suggestion for thought...

Last reply
  • PHN 9 years this month

Hi, I'm in my mid 40s.... Had a wicked bout of Shingles down my right arm in sept 2008 (I'm also right handed, if that ain't part of the joke.). I had the pain about a month before any rash appeared. I swore I had a pinched nerve, so I was seeing a chiropractor... Man I had this guy stumped......

Last reply
  • PHN+Injury=OW!!

I have PHN in my chest and back after shingles in October 2016. I'm getting better, slowly, but yesterday I fell. Yes, directly onto my hand, elbow, should, and of course my front left rib area, where the PHN is. I got the wind knocked out of me too. I had tripped over a raised sidewalk, in our neighborhood,...

Last reply
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia

I believe there was a patient who had this but I can't remember who it was. I would like to discus it with him/her. Roberta

Last reply
  • Ice, ice, baby!

I have tried all pharmaceuticals (nortriptyline, amytripyline, keppra, tramadol, Lyrica, patches, ointments, etc.) as well as procedures (multiple nerve blocks and stellate ganglion injection), acupuncture, physical therapy, massage, even medicinal cannibus -- nothing has provided relief. The only thing...

Last reply
  • PHN

I seem to have a unique problem with my PHN after shingles.  My shingles rash was on my right buttock and into my vaginal and rectal area.  It is pure torture sitting and going to the bathroom.  I can't stand wearing underwear.  Can someone help me?  Has anyone else had shingles...

Last reply
  • PHN at 6 months post shingles

Looking for encouragement and advice for 87 year old father who is at the 6 month mark for PHN in area of left scalp, above left brow and in left eye.  He also has generalized myasthenia gravis which was very much under control until docs added immunosuppressive drugs to his regimen and in spite...

Last reply
  • Periods of remission, feel hopeful, then hopes dashed

I am approaching the six-month mark since this all started, and am adjusting to the probability that I am going to be stuck with this for quite some time.  Mercifully, the pain has not been constant.  Hours can go by when I don't notice any pain at all. I haven't had a pain-free day...

Last reply
  • Information needed

Hi new to group, joined this group on behalf of my mom who has suffered chronic pain for years. She suffered with shingles before I was born im now nearly 25 and still haven't found a treatment that helps the severity of the pain. Not sure on exactlys etc. But know she's already had injections,...

Last reply
  • PHN for 13 years+ - Genetic issues fighting VSV

New to the group. Had shingles initially when I was 22 years old. Since then I have had chronic pain and tried literally every treatment out there from homeopathic to injections to creams to pills to...everything. I have several doctors that specialize both in pain management but also virology, specifically...

Last reply
  • Postherpetic Neuralgia

many people after having Shingles; and having the shot; seem to have Postherpetic neuralgia in quadrants.  I have read , where many have tried different options.  I am asking if anyone has had the procedure done called: "DRG".....Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation?  Any input or...

Last reply
  • PHN in hand

I am 38 year old women and Had shingles on my left arm Last year. I have excruciating pain in my hand, thumb & 1st finger. I have tried gabapetin (max dose)with tramadol and paracetamol for 3 months but still no relief. I am now taking tramadol & paracetamol & ibruprofen with pregabalin &...

Last reply
  • Botox

i have suffered from PHN FOR OVER 2 YEARS in my head/eye I received a second round of Botox but doesn't seem to have worked this time i have tried all different types of treatment without success i am a very optimistic person but this condition is wearing me out,

Last reply
  • Pain with activity?

Hello all- I'm 25 and was told today that I have PHN, but I'm skeptical. I'm reading through signs and symptoms, and while many fit me the main factor that brings along my pain is activity. My pain affects my on my left chest- does anyone else here notice that activity (standing for 15 minutes,...

Last reply
  • New to group hoping for support. As well as to give support.

I've suffered post therpetic neuralgia for over 5 years. I've gotten Shingles's on my face 5 different times which has obviously contributed to the severity of my pain. Does anyone else here have severe pain flare ups? By that I mean my pain through out the day with medication is about a...

Last reply
  • Cryotherapy or Cryoanalgesia

Has anyone tried or heard about Cryotherapy or Cryoanalgesia. I read one report about very effective use of freezing on the affected nerve pathways, but can't find anyone in the UK who offers it for PHN.

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.