Phn pain under and on breast

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i had shingles about a month ago under my breast and the pain has never went away or decreased if anything its worse trouble is ive been on tramadol for the past 7 years 8 a day problem now is tramadol doesnt even seem to Touch the pain so now im left wondering if 8 tramadol doesnt esse it what will

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear michelle

that is exactly what I am experiencing. Michelle you need to go to GP.....they will give you medicine for the pain....it's called post heretic neuralgia.....pain after shingles. My doc gave me amithriptyline for the pain....it's nerve pain so Tramadol won't help. My doc also gave me cream to ease the symptoms......they may not give you everything in one go....I've been several times since the onset of shingles.

i know how you feel so feel free to talk whenever you need to.

all the best

jubs 

• Posted

HI   i WAS JUST READING YOUR MESSAGE AND YOU MENTIONED A CREAD??? PLEASE  WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CREAD   IS IT HELPING?????  YOU WILL SEE IM ON A MAX  OF GABAPENTINE AND  AMITRIPTYLINE, ALSO TRYING LIDOCANE PATCHES TO PUT UNDER MY BUST AREA AND SIDE AND BACK BUT  AFTER TAKEING THEM OFF AFTER 12 HOURS  THEN PAIN ALL NIGHT  TRIED TO DO NIGHT TIME PATCHES  AND OFF ALL DAY BUT  I CRAWL THE WALLS AND i HAVE NEVER CRIED SO MUCH   MY PARTNER DIES 3 YEARS AGO  SO BEING AT HOME ALONE IS VERY HARD. ANY WAY I WISH YOU WELL  TAKE CARE WE NEED TO SET UP A SIGHT....  JOCELYNE MASON  CAMBRIDGE UK 
    • Posted

Dear Joyce

i am so sorry I did not realise you messaged me...I have loads of discussions for my other health conditions so didn't see this one until now.

i try understand your pain...that week of intense PHN was the worst in my life....it is like being on the electric chair, being zapped with a taser, like rose thorns being twisted on ur flesh with hints of vinegar. Gosh I feel ur pain.

i will tell you everything I have done and you follow whatever you feel comfortable in trying.

my doc gave lidocaine cream....I didn't apply it more than few times as rubbing them made it worse then a little better do not worth the torture.

my shingles area was too large for lidocaine patches...plus they cost too much.

he gave me capsaicin 0.075 cream and said it burns at first but then provides relief that lasts a while.......I was too afraid to try this but you may be brave enough.

what gave me most relief and helped me heal was natural. I mixed castor oil and coconut oil in equal proportions and applied it generously to my shingles area and that did help a lot and I believe it is what made the difference. These oils have natural healing powers and the oil penetrates the skin so it can help heal your nerves...it's really worth a try Joyce. 

Now ow that my nerve pains have healed a lot I don't always remember to use it but anytime I get a tingle I use it. Also rashes appeared again on my neck and a lady on another discussion said that's it could be from the histamine the shingles left in my blood....I took antihistamines like ceritrizine and fexofenadine(much stronger) try these for at least a week and see if it helped you. For my neck rashes that I have at the moment I am using pure black seed oil and it is drying up the rashes and along with the ceritrizine ....so it's a combined effect. 

I also take lysine sometimes when I fear I might get another episode of shingles and if I get PHN pain I suspect it and get terrified and starting doing my oils and my vitamins. Consider taking some vitamin C, B complex, D and maybe zinc. These all play a part in our immune system and maybe if that works better u could heal better.....it's worth s try. 

I have ate arthritis too and I have noticed a huge portion of people on the shingles discussions as having arthritis....it effects our immune system....instead of protecting us it attacks us and leaves other diseases chances to attack us too. 

I really hope hope anything i said gives you relief.

let me know how you get on my dear. 

Best wishes jubs

feel free to message me as much as you like....we all need support. I come here a lot and have learnt so much in the past few months. There's. Lot of kind hearted people here who will try to help u.

take care and sorry for your loss. 

• Posted

Hi Every one   Jubs, michelle and all those wonderful people who reads these messages, well my pain is so bad I felt like  being honest taking all the tabs I had in the house, BUT dont worry Im to scared, I took my medipack dose . I just cant find the right level to stop  this uncomfortable pain.  I had to meet with a Union rep  to talk over  Do  I  go back to school , do I take their offer of leaving with a good referance and Three thousand pound....        , I went to the CAB  citezen advice  but which ever way I turn I can not claim any benefits for 28 weeks, so How do I  pay my rent, my electric gas and other main items, then I got kicked even harder because I will only be getting  half salery now, so now I really feel more lower that I was at the start.  Yes Im scared tired because I did not have any sleep last night. sorry folks I  need  help  but cant find any answers. Jocelyne 

• Posted

Hi Michelle and every one suffering with this dreadful pain, im 61 and yes I have this problem, under my breast and around the back to my shoulder blade.  \i swear I have never had such pain,  even giving birth is mild to this type of pain. and yes at my age and working well trying to work, I often go home in pain and in tears, I am already of a lot of pain meds for my arthritas, but this pain   reaches hights that I never wish my worse enamy to have.  like you I have certain meds for pain even  sticky pads with lidocain patches I stuck under my breqast and along my pack, which was great, you keep them on for 12 hours and then remove daily, but it seems I have become  hyper sensetive to these and im im more pain than before.  it might work on you. if so go for it, so now its ice pack and tears for me with no other  meds as my gabapentin is on the highest amount with no  pain free time, work is now getting to be impossible as i cant wear a bra still,  any other med suggestions i will gladly try,  wish you all lots of luck and hugs in finding a cure for our pain  JO CAMBRIDGE
  • Posted

Michelle, Your story is nearly the same as mine.
    • Posted

Not sure why, but my previous post posted before I finished it. I have same symptoms. Under & on my right breast, around to my back, & at my shoulder blade. Started 9-10-15. Diagnosed 9-16-15. Worked a few more days, but by 9-22, I was home; can't work with this pain. Have been on gabepentin, & have increased doses from 300mg 1x daily to 800mg 3x daily. Not quite maxed out. Will see doc this Thursdsy. BUT this med causes me balance & cognition problems. So I can't drive or work. I've also been on hydracodone-apap 5-325. Started at bedtime. Then every 12 hours. Then 3x day, back to bedtime only. Recently stopped this. Does not seem to make a difference. Pain definitely is as bad if not worse, than labor pains. Use ice packs. Have tried wet compresses. Lay in bed with rice bag (or bean bag) - room temperature - laying on the front area as counter pressure. Any of these may give me some relief at times. Nothing consistent. I really hate this. Ready to move on. I'm at a loss. Feel helpless. This is on top of pain & chronic fatigue from an autoimmune disease, & chronic migraine condition. Any advice or tips, I'd be happy to hear about them.
  • Posted

A very big thank you for replying to me,  In the nicest way  its great to see im not the only one with this shingles after event illness. I really know how you feel,  I work in a school, but I have now had this pain since  June 2015,  I am on the 1800 mg of  Gabapentin and also amitriptyline  2 tablets at night plus paracetamol (which) is as waste of time. I am going to school but yes the pain is their but I do feel when im working  it takes my mind of the pins and needles well that is till break when im feeding my self again with another dose of gabapentine.  I have tried the  lidocane sticky patches, they work but after the twelve hours I do from 8am  till 8 pm  but then Im in pain all night and my skin is hyper sensertif.  

IFANY ONE HAS ANY IDEAS  PLEASE PLEASE HELP US WHO ARE SUFFERING.  EVEN PRAY AND WISHING  WONT HELP BUT MAY BE WE SHOULD FORM A GROUP AND GET EVERY ONE AROUND THE WORLD TO SEND IN THEIR  IDEAS FOR A PAIN FREE LIFE,  WHICH I CANT REMEMBER  WHAT IT IS LIKE  TAKE CARE KINDEST REGARDS  JOCELYNE  CAMBRIDGE UK

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I'm new here. I've only had shingles about 5 weeks, but it's the most awful thing on the face of this earth. I immediately started researching shingles on the internet. Also been to see my doc
  • Posted

This is to everyone! I am located in the US and I know countries will vary. I got shingles in the same area in February and have had PHN since. I can't wear a bra all day and excruciating doesn't describe some days. I have tried EVERYTHING, drugs, acupuncture, lidocaine patches, capsaicin cream and then the patch, and nerve blocks. Hydrocodone will work for about an hour and I refuse to be on pain killers the rest of my life.

I FINALLY have found something that works. It's a Spinal Cord Stimulator. I have gone through the trial and have the implant scheduled for Nov. 12th. It's the first time all year I jabber had relief and can wear a bra and sleep without pain. If you have tried everything and feel hopeless, I can tell you there is an option. They say it only works on 50% of PHN patients and feeling blessed to have something. Thank God I have fantastic insurance because it's not cheap. I know surgery is going to suck but at this point worth it. Hope you can find relief as this is the only place I feel people actually understand what I go through on daily basis.

• Posted

good morning all.

I suffered shingles in Jan 2020 after pulling my chest muscle. it's now May and still as bad. I have the tablets and creams and patches and still feel like feeling the walls at times. I have found a hot water bottle helps but seeing the date of these posts I hope you have all healed and may have ideas to help me. it hurts when I left my left arm, drive ,get dressed. my shingles - post herpetic neuralgia goes from my chest bone over my breast and all round to my back spine. thanks loads

• Posted

Hi Michelle and anyone else still following this. I got Shingles about 14yrs ago; it was"very mild" according to the doc, 1 blister at my sternum, all the way around my torso with pain. That pain was, I thought, the worst pain I'd ever experienced and I've lived through a car accident that ended up causing me to have to have my rotator cuff reconnected and my bicep tendon reattached. That was hideous, this was worse still. I have phn under my right breast, itching and pain there and then itching and crawling skin on my spine and either side. I wear an "elastic" bra from Bali, it slips over my head, no fastenings but now the seams are starting to bother me and, of course, the bra wears out. It's all stretchy material. No medicine works for the itching and the pain and I have to be careful because i've had reactions to the pain killers I've used. If i use a salve, I break out under my breast. Has anyone found anything at all that works? I try to sleep on my, or toward, my right side because the pressure on the area under my breast helps but since my left shoulder injury and the surgery on my left rotator cuff, my left shoulder doesn't hold in place without my physically holding it, and having it unsupported, is also very painful. Any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.