Postherpetic Neuralia

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi to everybody

I had Herpes Zoster Oticus last September and suffer of Postherpetic Neuralia since then.

As a consequence I had a serious ear infection for several month which came on and off.

( treated with antibiotics) I had a hole in my eardrum which fortunately closed after 6 months.

While adhoc pains in my right part of the face are bearable, I feel deep seated nerve pains on my entire right side when I touch the face which are acually getting worse than better.

When I recently went for cleaning of my ear with in ear/throat/nose clinic the nerve pains were so severe that I thought I am electricuted.( much worse than 6 months back when I saw the doctor every week)

The most annoying feeling however is that my right ear feels like totally blocked/swallon

( it is always slighty better after waking up but soon after closes again)

While I am taking Pregabalin I would appreciate if you were to share your experience as rgds to the following:

1, why is the nerve sensitivity in the face getting worse than better?

2, how do I know that nerves are healing and will they?

3, any clue which my ear feels so blocked/swallon and is there anything I can do?

While I understand that eg Pregabalin helps to reduce pains, is there anything which I can do to help nerves to heal( I did some acupuncture and take alot of Vitamin B )

Thank you very much for all your advise

best ~Rainer

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Been suffering from PHN since 2011 when i was 32yrs old, after going through HZO (Herpes zoster ophthalmicus), from under my right eye extending all the way to the top of my head.. Pain subsided after a few years but still painful to say the least, just bearable to get on with life, you begin to feel hopeless after all the tried medications doctors prescribe that do not work or worse case scenario make things worse... Ear problems are prone to anyone suffering from PHN in the face region. I still suffer from a clogged ear like feeling with no problems inside my ear. So i would be cautious on what ear problems you might be going through. Its very very common, from the few people i have talked to and met in person over the years. We all share common problems even on the other side of the affected area on are face.

Went through the gauntlet, doctors, neurologists, homeopathic, Herbal Medicines, very little to no improvements over the course of years of taking meds , the usual meds they prescribe PHN sufferers, anti seizure meds, depression meds, do nothing to heal or cure your pains, they just mask the pain for a few hrs. The only thing that takes the pain away, but makes you feeling nothing at all is Morphine or similar drugs. I'd rather feel the pain then feel nothing at all, but thats me. Have not taken a drug or meds since 2017 and will never go that route again. Tried tested, failed after many attempts to try what they prescribe, months or years later again.

Since COVID-19 in 2020, my pains are terrible again, for the past 2 years, as bad as it was the first 3yrs. No matter what diet or exercise schedule I tried before that helped decrease the overall pain. Do not bother telling people about your condition, waste of time, energy and will leave you feeling completely isolated in your thoughts. Bottom line is no one cares, unless they experience the same condition. Hate to be brutally honest, but its like having your life ripped from you and forces you to accept the fact your gonna be in pain for the rest of your life, if you can even call it a life.

The only people who understand PHN are the ones who have to live the rest of their lives in trivial pain. As much as i love and trust doctors, your know your dealing with an honest doctor when they tell, "They do not Know"....

You know your dealing with something that will ultimately crush your way of living before it happened. I'd switch places with anyone who complains of being tired from working 60hrs a week. Pick a job where you can work from home, its my only solution as far being able to still work..

Trying not to stress out is almost impossible while the pain is excruciating let alone tolerable, but stress and worrying does nothing to improve your well being, i very rarely go out anymore, not worth the effort and besides people get tired of the complaining when you look ok on the outside after shingles is over the 1st month. But beneath the affected area's wow, the pain is just as bad as the 1st month, when i looked like a monster on one side of my face. I thought after the 1st month, it was over, but nope, over a decade now and the pain is never gone, tolerable at times, but that is because you get so used to the pain, that pain free for a PHN sufferer is less pain.

Keep in touch I can help, even if you just need someone to talk to. I will check the site more daily, most users on this forum do not post anymore, due to moderators on the site, not agreeing with their posts, most likely someone who knows nothing about PHN or thinks what people post on here is not good information, like most of the time The Truth Hurts. Why censor the few people who can discuss their similar symptoms and what works and does not work.

MVM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.