PHN and new shingles vaccine

Posted , 6 users are following.

As you might know, FDA has approved a new and improved shingles vaccine.  Under CDC guidelines, it is recommended for people over 50, EXCEPT those with an active case such as rash .  I had shingles over 1 1/2 years ago and have PHN.  I do not have a rash like initial outbreak but  the skin is always kind of red and itchy.    Any thoughts on this?  I contacted the CDC but have not heard back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ruth,

I understand it was not recommended for people over the age of 80, which leaves me out.

Roberta

• Posted

If you want the vaccine, a good idea I believe, you might ask your doc to write you a note stating you do not have an active case of shingles. 

You describe red itchy skin in your PHN area. This suggests inflammation, like my area. Mine has responded very well to triamcinolone acetonide cream. It is usually used for eczema, but gets rid of itching and restores some of the normal sensation for me. It is not expensive. In the US it requires a prescription. If you try it and it helps or does not help, please let me know. I don’t know of anyone else who has tried this for PHN on this site. 

• Posted

Hi Charlie,  I will try to get my Dr to write a prescription and let you know.  I am also in another forum with the question about the new vaccine.  One responder said it was not for those over 80.  Had you heard that?
    • Posted

I don’t know what recommendations are about the new vaccine, sorry. 
  • Posted

You can search the CDC's website for information (CDC-dot-gov, which I'm typing out in case the embedded link is removed. Once there, use the search box in the upper-right corner and type in Shingles Vaccine.

It's called Shingrix, and this is just a small part of what the CDC says.

"Healthy adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. You should get Shingrix even if in the past you

had shingles

received Zostavax

are not sure if you had chickenpox

Shingrix reduces the risk of shingles and PHN by more than 90% in people 50 and older. CDC recommends the vaccine for healthy adults 50 and older.

There is no maximum age for getting Shingrix.

If you had shingles in the past, you can get Shingrix to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated."

Hope that helps!

• Posted

Does anyone know if the new vaccine is okay even if you are over the shingles but have PHN?
  • Posted

Ruth, did you ever get an answer to this?  I have severe PHN - it's been six month now and I am also wondering if I can have the Shigrix vaccine - and if not, why not?  If anyone can answer this please let me know.

• Posted

Yes,  all the docs I spoke to said to go for the new shingles shot unless you were having an active outbreak of shingles rash.  I got it and have had pHN for 2 years.  Won’t make it better but may prevent another bout with shingles!
  • Edited

I had a terrible case of shingles right after covid. I took 5 days of dexamethazone which reduced my immune system. this was confirmed by my MD son. I had terribly large bullae middle of stomach to middle of back. I took an antiviral and corticosteroid that did the best for healing. After cleared of blisters, I was gjiven shot of Shingrix in hopes it would heal the PHN, but it did not. To help subside the pain and itch, there were a number of thing that helped, 1. coconut cream oil, 2. 300mg 3 t.i.d. of gabapentin, 4. spray of 4% lidocaine, 5. swim in salt water swimming pool. 6. use of capsaicin patch. I am in hopes that the second shot of Shingrix given 6 months after the first. if anyone knows something they have tried the stop the PHN, you will be a hero and could become.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.