postherbetic Neuralgia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had diagnosis of PHN in september 2020, i have taken Lyrica 75 mg,, Gabapentin 1900 mg, capsaicin patches, lidocain patches, nortryptilin, but the pain keeps coming especially at night. So I continue to take 600 mg gabapentin at night only. I have severe allodynia at night. I have ADHD. In the morning hours I take adderall which seems to help me. I cant take adderall in tge evening as it affects my sleep. I need help

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi,

I got shingles around my right eye just before Christmas Day 2020. I was late starting Famciclovir so I suffered a fair bit of sensory damage. I started intramuscular b12 injections on the 27th December but still went through the wringer. I read research about b12 and b1 injections for the pain and itching respectively, indicating that the vitamins had to be given subcutaneously at the site of damage to be effective. Around the eye, forehead and scalp are awkward places to give subcutaneous injections: eventually the pain motivated me to try. I started a bit over two weeks ago, giving 0.3 ml injections of b1 (~40mg) and b12 (~300 micrograms) with a 30 gauge needle. For about the past week I have had three b12 injections and at least one b1 injection daily. Most of the injections have been around the forehead and eyebrow as they are the easiest places to inject. What I have noted is a return of nerve function to my forehead, with the area now sensitive when I inject. Consequently I am starting to inject into my scalp, which is numb currently, and will see whether this elicits any return of sensation: this might take a few weeks. Injections don't help my eye, but it has been slowly improving.

I am about to start my tenth week of sick leave and might give an update of my progress, good or bad.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.