Helpful Hint for PHN on trunk

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had terrible PHN on 2 sq ft of my trunk since a severe shingles outbreak 6 months ago. This has been the one thing that has allowed me to wear clothes, work, drive, sleep under bed linens, and have a life (besides some help from gabepentin and ibuprofen:

Jockey Generation™ Women's Slimming Tank Undershirt

They go by a few different names (like Assets), made by Jockey, and Spanx makes a few similar tank tops and camis.

They fit very tightly, and I can't live without them! I only take it off to shower, and that hurts like hell!!

Hope that helps!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've heard of others who have used a compression type product with good results. I can't, it makes it worse generally. Finding clothes is a big problem but I learned to avoid hoods, yokes, rough material or seams that go near the shoulder (raglan style). I'm glad you found something.

• Posted

Wow Heather thank you for posting that! I have had the PHN on my trunk for 10 years and I knew that when I put my arms up over my head the pain is less, and if I support my breasts with my hands the pain is definitely less....but I have tried every kind of bra I could find, and they all cause unbearable pain after an hour or so.....because of the pressure on my back. So...looking today for this forum I found you, and my first two Jockey specials are on their way from Target!

I have tried so many things over the years, some worked for a while and then no more. If you haven't done Peppermint essential oil, it is worth trying. For a number of years rubbing that oil into the painful area relieved my pain very much. Some of the girls at the office found the peppermint smell too much for them, and I was given an office of my own....but now I'm retired, and using other antidotes that work for an hour or so, and need to be repeated. Bless you, I feel for you!!

• Posted

babs99203, I'm so happy that my post has given you hope, I hope these super tight shirts help you as much as they've helped me. My goodness, you've suffered like this for 10 years?? I've only endured it for 9 months and I'm losing my mind! I'm wishing us both the best!!

• Posted

I am also suffering from PHN and have found that compression clothing helps. I also ordered EmuAidMAX a while back. At first it didn't seem to help much so I quit using it. However, out of desperation, I started trying it again and this time I had lidocaine 5% ointment and I used a small amount with it and it actually helped around 75%. i use that combination 4 times a day and am finally able to function. Somedays are still better than others as Im sure you all are aware of. I am thankful to have found this discussion group! I have a question....I never had the shingles vaccine, do you know if it is safe to get it with PHN? I surely dont want to get shingles again!

• Posted

Hi

I've had PHN trunk since 2020 The burning itch is eased by compression. I have tried compression bandages and "slimming vests" to no avail.

However I get great relief the last several months wearing a back support belt where I can alter the pressure with elastic straps. I use one from Back on Track but many are available.

Hope this helps someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.