Postherpetic pain continues into the 7th year!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Over six year ago I had shingles which affected my face,eye and scalp. I live with the dry eye condition and the constant pain on my scale and areas of my face affected by the initial condition. Is there is anyone who also experiences this constant throbbing pain and tender feeling who has successfully found a remedy?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i have the same problem but havent found anything to help with the constant pain

• Posted

i really feel for you.

i have the same horrible place as you for 8 yrs.i hate

to say it but i will have it for life.

i know the misery.

theres no way to help in a serious way.

i take

percoset when i am in agony.

ice pack gives some relief.

arnicare is helpful on the scalp to deaden the pain

its only 10 dollars a tube

i am sorry for us

try to enjoy life as best you can

lisa

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and your suggestions. An odd thing to message but it is good to know there are other people out there experiencing the same conditions. Several visits to my GP, over the years, has made me feel like a broken record making me feel the pain and discomfort was of no consequence to my daily life. The flippant suggestion was that I should take tramadol, which I took when first diagnosed. It knocked me out and I slept until midday. It made me feel awful, especially as a lark who is up and busy...I love the mornings. I appreciate GPs cannot know everything but I cannot forgive the dismissive tone.

• Posted

2 years and 8 months after shingles i have chronic pain too. Throbbing (I call it stabbing) and constant stinging, itching, burning. I use icy hot, hot packs, Tiger Balm, epson salt baths, Nycenta when pain is most severe. I take Nortryptaline daily for pain management. My favorite has become Mary's CBD w/ THC ointment that I get at a local dispensary. I put it on the area affected every day. Nothing gets rid of the pain but I can get some temporary relief. so sorry.

• Posted

I take 2 Lyrica and 2 Tegritol per day .Applications dont help me except cold pack of ice gives momentary relief. I have it on chest and back since almost 3 years.

Other medications are Gabapentin and Tryptomer which contains an opioid Tramadol.

Other remedies which I havent tried are -Nerve blockage by injecting under the skin with anaesthetics is said to give temp relief. You can explore if anyone has tried stem cell or Ozone therapy.

Some days are less painful than the others.

Most important is to keep busy in what you like, meditate take anti depressant if you feel the need- I dont.

As far as possible don't self medicate and keep testing creatinin and SGPT for kidney and liver every 2 to 3 months

I have made a plastic device that I wear on my shoulder to wear a shirt without it touching the painful parts of my chest and back.

• Posted

Thanks to all for the messages and suggestions which I will try. More especially, it is good to know I am not alone. I am ever hopefully there may be a more suitable pain relief solution, especially for the scalp, as the cream prescribed makes it look that I have greasy hair or my personal hygiene is under question. Very embrassing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.