Botox or POEM?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Botox was not a cure all, but it did help relieve some of my symptoms. Spasms are back in full swing and so is my regurgitation. Can't sleep due to choking on my own saliva. Gastro told me yesterday she is recommending POEM. I also have a swallowing disorder, so I am not sure this is the route to take.

Any thoughts on a 2nd round of Botox vs surgery?

Thanks,

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I dont think I mentioned that I was diagnosed with type 2 Achalasia after all the testing. That is why I ended up having the surgery. Is that your diagnosis as well?

• Posted

I was told I had an esophageal motility disorder and a swallowing disorder along with esophageal spasms. They didn't actually give it a name. However, they have been treating me as if I had achalasia. They have stretched my esophagus twice, and used Botox in the LES. Now my doctor is talking about surgery. She is not sure which to do. She is considering the POEM, because it is less complicated and has an easier recovery period.

What is type 2 Achalasia? Are you glad you had the surgery? I know you said it helped a little bit. Do you wish you had chosen a different route?

Thanks Carol

• Posted

I dont think I mentioned that I was diagnosed with type 2 Achalasia after all the testing. That is why I ended up having the surgery. Is that your diagnosis as well?

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.