Botox side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been having Botox injections every 3 months for chronic migraines for the past 3 years.  It has been life altering, in that my 18 plus migraines per month have subsisded to maybe one or two in that 3 month period.  However, in the past 6 months I have been experiencing severe pain in my arms, hands, hips, legs and feet.  I was sent to a Rheumatologist who found nothing wrong, I had a positive EMG and have been scheduled for an MRI.   Now I am wondering if this could all be a side effect from long term Botox injections.   I am almost at my wits end with the pain, it makes it very hard to function and I didn't even mention the fatigue!   

If anyone has had this experience, please share with me.  I am very worried.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

I am also having Botox for hemiplegic migraine and like you have reported they have certainly helped.  The side effect you have mentioned I have not had those, but they dont sound very nice at all, I am sorry you are experiencing them,

I dont know if they are related to the botox or not, have you told the dr who has been adminitering the botox that you have these issues?

Have they given you some decent pain relief for it

• Posted

hi elizabeth.

I too had severe migraine over 4 years which increased per month as the years went on. I was having 3 per month until they stopped december 2015 was the last one. I was free of them for 6 months but then the peri symptoms kicked in and I had severe shoulder pain, pains in back of legs, neck, sometimes feet and hands.  But no more headaches.  the migraines were definitely hormonal and early perimenopause; but of course the doctors did not link them to hormones at the time. they do now.  I didn't have any botox treatment, just otc tablets.  It may be that your migraines may be decreasing and are being replaced with other perimenopause aches (and I know they are severe because mine were, especially shoulder).  I was told recently that the hormonal migraines starting 4 years ago were because progesterone had dropped and oestrogen was raging on its own and now oestrogen has dropped also so the migraine has improved but the lack of oestrogen is causing the other pains.  Maybe ask your doctor and miss a botox treatment to see if anything changes. The migraine may be dying down?  

Just to let you know also that the body pains, shoulder etc have improved greatly, it took six months but now only get twinges of pain now and then, only 2 migraine since january, so things did get better.  but of course there are other symptoms of peri still going on, but the severe pains which were the worst have definitely improved over time.  hope this helps you.

• Posted

sorry, I thought this was the menopause forum that I was replying to you in so may not be hormone related at all.  but it is worth thinking about, it could be hormone imbalance causing pain also. would you be around that age? 
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I had my first lot of botox a couple of months ago and am due for my next lot in July.  So far It has shown no positive signs of reducing my aurus/migraines.  I have found I suffer from extreme fatigue and the joint pain I suffered from before has just increased which I have put down to the migraines.  I would contact your migraine nurse if you have one or as suggested, the person who administered the botox.  Sorry I can be of no other help but let us know how you go. 

Did botox work straight away for you or did you have to wait for your second course?

Claire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.