Botox treatment... a semi success story

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had a chronic fissure the past two years, tried everything from supplements, ointments, diltiazem, rectogesic.. finally opted for the botox and skin tag removal.

Pain was pretty severe for the first two months (mostly from the skin tag i think).

FINGERS CROSSED, it's been three months now, and BM's are the easiest they have been for a long time. I still take movicol daily and things do not feel like i'm at 100% but there has been no blood, and no major pain during BMS.

Just thought i'd share a semi success story. I am unsure if I will be fully healed, but the botox definitely improved my situation. So hold out hope.

remember the successful stories won't come back to tell you the majority of the time, so i just thought i would.

good luck!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

thank you and i am so happy to hear that you are feeling better..I have started along with the GTN a homeopathy treatment which i have been told is very promising.I also have purchased Dr.Wheatgrass which i will start to use from today.I will keep my progress posted

• Posted

thank you and i am so happy to hear that you are feeling better..I have started along with the GTN a homeopathy treatment which i have been told is very promising.I also have purchased Dr.Wheatgrass which i will start to use from today.I will keep my progress posted

• Posted

it is interesting why the fissure heals for some people quickly and for others it doesnt heal that quickly.

• Edited

To be honest, the reason i think the Fissure is healing finally for me, is that in the case for alot of fissures there is scar tissue, so it just cannot heal - physically. Part of the botox treatment involves them essentially aggravating the wound and scraping off any scar tissue which then gives the body an opportunity to heal it. I tried EVERYTHING, including not eating for a week so that I didn't have any BM's. The fissure just would not heal.

I recommend giving it a go despite the horror stories you hear. It certainly helped me and even though I am not 100% i am about 80-90% there. To the point where it is the first time in a year I am not feeling totally hopeless.

• Posted

you mentioned that part of the Botox treatment involved scrapping off the scar tissue. My doctor has mentioned that the Botox procedure will just take a couple of mins. She never mentioned removing the scar tissue. Do you know how long the procedure took for you?

• Posted

I also had botox about 2.5 months ago, except they didn't scrape away the scar tissue; I just had the injection. I actually didn't use any sedation, since the doctor said I didn't need it. He said he could tell I didn't clench up so much when he was inspecting my fissure. He said the pain of the numbing stuff is the same as the injection and it can be scheduled sooner so I trusted him. He was right, the injection was the only painful part, but it was over when the injection was over and was able to sit and walk out just fine. It stopped the spasms. One issue I do have is the skin tag can get really inflammed and sensitive and has a burning sensation. Ive had about 3 bouts of pain or very minimal blood since I've had the injection. But most of the time I feel pretty normal which is a breath of fresh air. I'm nervous that it won't be fully healed by the time the botox wears off, but only time will tell! I have an appointment today to see the status of the healing so fingers crossed!

• Posted

Unfortunately, it seems the botox wore off and it is now painful daily again. The BM itself isn't so bad but the pain starts 5-15 minutes later. Last weekend I was bed/couch bound from the pain. It was awful. I'm calling today to make an appointment with a new surgeon (the doctor who did my botox injection doesn't do the LIS surgery) to hopefully get the LIS surgery. I can't live like this everyday anymore. It's so depressing that it didn't heal from the botox. Feels like waste of time and money, but I understand needing to try all the things before surgery. Hindsight is 20/20! The doctor who did my botox said conservative treatment to avoid treatment ends with botox and he said if it didn't heal, then I'll probably need surgery. So that's my new mission.

• Posted

Also, I saw a doctor a couple weeks ago who confirmed the fissure was still open and not healed.

• Posted

It's so nice to hear that you are feeling better. I have had chronic fissures for the last 3 years now and I am deciding between botox and surgery. I have also tried everything so far and things were not so bad until the muscle spasms started in that area. The doctor is leaning towards LIS surgery and I am leaning towards Botox. I haven't heard many encouraging stories about Botox so it's nice to know that yours was successful.

Did you see any progress in the first 2 months or did the progress start after 2 months?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.