Botox treatments for OAB

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to hear comments (and results) from people (particularly men) who have had Botox bladder treatments for urgency and leakage.  I am trying to decide if I should try this treatment approach.,

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barry my sister in law is having Botox injections for urinary stress incontinence, and it’s working for her. She has to have a ‘top up’ approximately every 12 months, I think she’s had about 3 lots up to now. Don’t know if that helps any. Good luck x 
  • Posted

Hello Barry,

I’m a 43 year old male, suffering from bladder issues for many years. After a lot of tests finally in 2015 i was diagnosed with oab. Since none of the medication worked for me i had the botox treatment in march this year.

Unfortunately it didn't give me the result i hoped for. The procedure itself was not so bad. The first time they start with a rather small dose, i think i heard the doctor say something about dosages of 100, whatever that means. It’s injected in the bladder wall, but it’s not very painful.

The pain for me came later. The botox worked like a lock on my bladder. I could hardly pee by myself, and had to catheterize myself. I knew in advance that this could be a side effect, and since i done it before, it was not a big deal.

Most painful for me was that i did feel the urge to pee, often 10 or 15 times an hour, which came with a lot of pain, but was not able to reduce the pain by peeing. Catheterize myself 10 times an hour was also not an option, so unfortunately i had to endure the pain.

Of Course everyone is different, and since the beginning of my bladder issues urge for me was always very painful. The positive side of the treatment for me was that for a short time i had less leakage. After about 3 month the effect was over, and i was glad about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.