Botox - What is your experience?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Since this is a rather long post, I've created headings, so it is possible just to skip it and read my questions =)

Introduction

My father came down with the shingles about 5 years ago and took his good time before going to the doctor, so he was diagnosed late, the anti-viral treatment seemed to have come too late.

He developed PHN and has been a sufferer since then. (mid-back, towards to the left front ribs).

Now, he is an old man, so, off-course, he has also been trough one operation in his left lung, where they had to insert a drain, right in the pain-area for the PHN). Also, a stroke happened during these 5 years, as well as pneumonia, urinary infection and as of late, back-problems, becauxe he walks crooked when he has his pains, straining his back.

He is a tough one and also very stubborn, but this takes it's tole.

Since they live in a remote area, going to the hospital takes more or less a whole day, and if you are haivng a down-period in PHN, I can understand that traveling and stress is extremely univiting.

Botox and relief

Anyway, he is using opiates to deal with the pains (oxicontin, oxynorm). I did some reasearch on this on the intenet a couple of years back and I did find various trials dealing with Botox (Botulinum 3) and the trials does show significant to mild to no effect, but in genereal, more than enough effect to show a statistical significance.

Luckily, my father has access to a doctor who is willing to help, so this doctor did some treatments on him (every 3 months), for about 1.5 years. The 3 month cycles were more or less spot on, but may have shifted a few days if pain was too great for travel.

Also, my father had 4 months off Botox as well, because of other medical issues mentioned above.

Unfortunately, with the other health issues disturbing the Botox-treatment, it's kind of hard for me to say how much/if it helped him.

I got my father to log all medication-usage, as well as his "pain rating" each day and when I chruned the numbers, it did (for me anyway) show that his medication was down when he was on Botox, but not pain-free, I would say "managable". The periods of great pain also seemed shorter and his good days were more plentiful and more good-to-ok days in a row.

Personally, he seemed to have given up on Botox these days, since it seemed that all his other health-issues was cancelling out the Botox-effects (stress??). But from looking at the data he logged during this time, I see a dramatic difference between On-Botox and Off-Botox......even though the period off-botox was also plagued with unrelated health-problems.

Question

Sorry for the long question though, but I am interested in experiences with Botox-treatment for PHN like:

Did you feel it gave relief?

Was the effect stable over time (several treatments)?

Is it worth going trough the process of getting nedles into the painful area, have 4-5 days of pain because of that, and then possibly, relief or reduced pain for up to 6-7 weeks?

I also saw something on youtube about Ozone, does anyone know if this is a undocumented scam, or does it actually work? =)

There is one thing that everyone here is correct about and that is that non-sufferers have no idea. We really don't, but we try to understand and the closest ones to you see that you suffer and would like nothing more than a cure for this hell. (Shingles is actually called "Hell-fire" where I live....fitting name rolleyes

May a cure come soon to you all.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I typed wrong in my original post, it should be Botulinum A, not "3".

Sorry for any confusion. smile

• Posted

Hi:

I have tried everything including Botox when it first started being used for a variety of health issues.  Unfort it did not help.  My view is try everything - one never knows.  My only caveat is offspec use of drugs that are mainly prescribed for mental health issues  - the likelihood they help is low and the impacts on ones mental health can be high.   I also know how difficult it is with opioids.  I was on a very high dose of fentanyl supplemented by oxy.   THe ony thing I haven't tired is methadone or suboxone given the restrictions here in Canada.   I have found amazing relief from cryogenic application of liquid nitrogen to the area.  Unfortunately the relief is now waning.  I am also finding it difficult to get the dermatologist to apply it consistently so that may be part of the problem - they are not interested in a basic procedure when they dont believe there is a biological plausiblity to it providing relief.  It also is a low return re: compensation from our govt insurance vs say applying cosmetic procedures which are paid for privately - my cynical side.

PHN is a very persistent and difficult pain to treat.  Your Dad is fortunate he has you to support him in his struggles.  

take care

jim

• Posted

Hello

Thank you for your reply, sharing your experience.

Yes, my experience with the botox-treatment, is that it is very dependend on how it is applied. Variations on where they actually inject the botox seem to influence the effects greatly. (at least in my fathers case).

He has been off Botox for a goot while now, been in quite bad shape since November and the lenghty travel by car hasn't been very tempting. (the good days are precious, so I can understand that he will rather not ruin those by stressfull, lenghty travel, followed by days of initial pain from the procedure, in hope of a few weeks relief thereafter).

I have found trough this forum, that 4% Lidocaine and the infamous Aspercreme (10% Trolamine salicylate ) does give relief to many, so I have sent over some infomation that he can give to his doctor locally.

Aspercreme with 10% Trolamine salicylate is hard to decifer over here (hard to find out what the compound is called in our language), but I think the chemists/pharmacy-people can deciffer it into something sensible.

If he gets relief from that, it may enable him to travel more to be able to take some more Botox-treatments.

Generally, it seems like an area of little knowlegde/remedies and many doctors have a very conservative approach to the subject.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.