Bottled Water

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody .  I have been taking Alendronic Acid for a few months now with no ill effects.  I always do as it says on the information supplied and take with a full glass of tap water. 

A simple question,  can I use bottled water while on holiday or would it be better to not take the tablet that week?   

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I thought  by plain water they mean don't add anything to it - like squash.. 

• Posted

Hi Pauline and everyone else! I too have to take these and have just checked my tablet leaflets. At the moment I happen to have two boxes both are different Pharmaceutical company's and it states on both leaflets ' Do not take with mineral water (still or sparkling) but 200 mls or 7 fl.oz of 'plain water' only. Not to be taken with tea or coffee, juice or milk. To be taken on empty stomach 30 mins before eating or drinking to help reduce the chance of 'irritating' your gullet/oesophagus. You must remain upright, never take before going to bed. If you experience any soreness, pain and difficulty swallowing, pain in the centre of the chest, worsening 'heartburn' than usual or start getting ulcers in your mouth and throat then 'Stop' taking it and report to your Doctor asap. I hope this helps but I have yet to find a reason as to why 'spring and mineral water' is a no no!

Good Health and Take Care and remember a full glass of 'tap water'. 

• Posted

I understood it was because these meds should not be taken at the same time as calcium and most mineral bottled water contains higher levels if calcium. I always wait an hour before eating, after taking my weekly tablet, because I then have cereal with soya milk. Most bottled water has the percentage of calcium on the label, and there are some very high and some much lower. Hope that helps timothy
    • Posted

Hi Alison, sorry I did not look at the dates of the above posts and thought I was adding some info about that taking that medicine but after the years of the posts everybody must know the answer's but it wasn't a waste as I thank you very much for getting back to me giving me the answer I was seeking and had not realised, thinking this was better than tap water, that there's a list 'Mineral Analysis' list including Calcium at 38mg/litre plus other ingredients. I will pay more attention in future and once again for answering. I started taking it wrong but did finally adhere to taking the tablet with tap water which I do not like unless tea or coffee has been added. lol 

Take care Alison and thanks.

• Posted

Hi there. I am taking risedronate but I am unsure how much calcium will be in bottled water. 

I checked the bottle an it says 15.6 mg per litre but that was a 500 mg bottle I checked. Please can you advise me.

Many thanks 

• Posted

Amani,  doing the maths here:  If your water has 15.6mg calcium per litre (1,000mls) then, by my calculations (hopefully correct!) , 120ml of water would contain 1.87mg. calcium. This is a tiny amount e.g.. 100ml. of standard milk contains 120mg calcium. . . . Can't see how this would be anything to worry about. 

However, to be sure, why don't you discuss this with your pharmacist your worries about possible interactions?  They know it all, and usually love answering questions and will certainly put your mind at ease.

• Posted

Thank you so much Juno! U actually helped my mind a great deal.

Happy Easter to you and everyone else on this! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.