Bowel cancer screening

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been sent an NHS appointment for the 55-year olds' bowel cancer screening. I accepted but on reading the leaflet and talking to others I had doubts. One friend reported it was painful and invasive, another needed gas and air for the pain. The leaflet said a very small number will need emergency treatment for bleeding after screening, but that most of these make a full recovery. I rang the NHS helpline to ask what happens to those who don't, and was told they might need a colostomy bag for the rest of their life. I am fit and healthy and feel I have been given an unwanted dilemma. That probably seems ungrateful given this is free treatment that could save my life. What would others advise please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pete

As far as I m aware, the colostomy bag is a last resort if cancer is found, its not an output of the check up. I have been having follow up colonoscopies for 5 years after being diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2013. The purpose is to check for polyps, if they exist remove them then check for cancer cells.

The procedure itself can cause some bleeding afterwards and drowsiness but it clears up, NHS will always cover themselves against worse case even if the risk is negligible.

Alternatively you should be able to ask for the home test kit.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/

• Posted

Thank you Grinch99, perhaps I am just panicking. Thinking I will probably go for it.

• Posted

Hi Pete,

Colonoscopy was done a few hours ago. No medication and I was awake. In the middle of the procedure the dr asked me to turn around and lay on my stomach. I walked out without a scratch.

• Posted

Thanks RoRoC. I'm beginning to feel a bit more reassured by experiences like yours. Thinking I will go for it.

• Posted

Most screenings are not painful at all. As Grinch mentions, the bag is the last resort in cancer is not responding to treatment.

The only issue I have with screening - and I am 51 and had a stool sample as the test - is that it is not conclusive. Mine reported as "highly possible to have cancer". So i went to the gastro, did a colonoscopy and found I am clean as a whistle, no cancer of the bowel.

Just as well. I have cancer of the prostate and dealing with 2 cancers would be difficult.

Bottom line: have the screenings. If in doubt, have a colonoscopy afterwards. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.