Bowel cancer testing

Posted , 7 users are following.

why is the new more accurate tests for bowel cancer being denied to over 60's?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Where did you read that? Just checking the NHS website and it states:

NHS bowel cancer screening is only offered to people aged 55 or over, as this is when you're more likely to get bowel cancer:

if you're 55, you'll automatically be invited for a one-off bowel scope screening test, if it's available in your area

if you're 60 to 74, you'll automatically be invited to do a home testing kit every 2 years

if you're 75 or over, you can ask for a home testing kit every 2 years by calling the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60

Hope that helps

• Posted

I assume you are talking about Cologuard when you refer to the new tests? I'm not aware of it being denied to over 60s. The average age for a bowel cancer diagnosis is late 60s to early 70s, so it wouldn't make sense.

• Posted

Bowel cancer screening in the UK is for the over 60's . ironically it's the younger ones who are missed.

• Posted

I can't say why, but I can say that twice the bowel testing kit was vague about me having cancer where the colonoscopy was definitive. I don't have it.

The latter is for most folk FAR more reliable. Granted it is pricier as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.