Bowel changes

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’m new to this forum, and have join In the hope of some reassurance and support.  I’m currently undiagnosed !! 

I’m 49 peri menopausal. Over the last 8 or 9 months we ve had enormous stress.  I’ve had stress related migraines and anxiety. But over the last 4 wks my bowels have changed.  

So for about two weeks I literally would have movements quite hard to pass then I d have a day of “toothpaste “ texture. ( much softer than my norm). Then about 2 weeks ago I had diarrhia when I woke up and since then my bowels are just not getting back to normal.  

The seem to go between toothpaste texture to formed lumps covered in mucus ( orange mucus and floating stools). No awful smell , and VERY easy to go. Definitely not constipated.  

Dr is saying give it another  couple of weeks with no advice at all.  The only pain I feel is immediately before I open bowels  and it generally feels like a period pain.  

Does this sound anything like IBS ?  

TIA xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! I'm not a doctor by any means, but it definitely could be ibs or just the stress that is causing your problem. Stress is a trigger for ibs, and stress can cause all kinds of health problems on its own. If it doesn't clear up soon, then I would probably go back to the dr.

• Posted

Hi, it could be stress related, there's a strong connection between brain and gut, also stress can trigger IBS, IBS can have a range of symptoms, seems anything is possible, you could check out the FODMAP diet, also things i've found help greatly are chia seeds, they are full of soluble fibre, they need to be soak, soak a tablespoon full in a glass of water for about an hour stir well, add juice for taste, this is optional, they go glutinous very easy to drink, repeat this about 2 or 3 times per day, or you could just soak 2 or 3 tablespoons of Chia seeds in 250 mils of water, shake or stir well, soak for a least 30 minutes, add some of this mix to other drinks like juice or lemonade etc, also extra virgin olive oil is good, 2 tablespoons per day may help.

• Posted

Hi, It could be IBS if I'm stressed or worried about something I would get pain in stomach then I would get diarrhoea, it is awful when it happens outside. I do take medication for IBS that the doctor give me which I'm on for life. You need to watch what you eat to see what triggers your symptoms,

• Posted

It doesn't sound like IBS to me. For me it started during my changes and I would have the big D more and more until I would have several bouts a week. I think your body is just going through the changes and your system is out of whack. Definitely give it more time. I hope it isnt IBS because thats brutal!!!

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

I’m also new to this forum, having very similar symptoms to you and currently seeing a gastroenterologist to find out exactly what it is. They are ruling out inflammation through blood tests and stool tests. Definitely getting period like pains as you described. It sounds like IBS as stress can be a trigger. You could try Iberogast and see if it helps. It’s a liquid drink that is plant based and natural, you don’t need a prescription. It works for me. 

Take care  and hope it improves for you. 

• Posted

It could be IBS; see a different doctor for tests to rule out other causes.  I saw several over three and a half months before my IBS diagnosis.  Stress is a major cause of IBS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.