Bowel compilations after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now almost 6 weeks post op from ankle surgery. I took pain pills for about 2 weeks afterwards and was constipated for a while. Now that the constipation is gone, I’m having sharp pain and burning for a little while afterward while using the bathroom and have bright red blood every time I wipe. Recently the bleeding has gotten worse. I’ve looked up a few things that it could possible be: anal fissures or hemmrhoids. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you get relief? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It does sound very much like a fissure, they are very painful. The way I cured mine was, one sachet of Laxido, and one 500mg magnesium tablet every day. After a few days the bleeding stopped, and a few months on, it's healed. I'd had it for years, and my colorectal surgeon told me to take this combination, it worked thank goodness, I will take for the rest of my life. I also take very strong pain tablets, but this stops constipation.

• Posted

I don’t really feel constipated. It’s a very weird and painful feeling. I take 3 stool softeners a day and still no relief. Do you do any ointment or just the magnesium and the laxido? 
    • Posted

Softeners didn't work for me, muscles not working enough to push--I'd had prolapse surgery.

No ointment, found I healed better without it, just the laxido and Magnesium, it took a few days t get into a routine, but once I did it's been good.

• Posted

Hi Laura,How long you had fissure? And since

how long you are fissure free ?Have you fully recovered? Are you living completely normal life or you have to take care of your diet and supplement s.. and what about the muscle tightness there?? Would be happy to know about your recovery process.. can you share your story..

• Posted

Hi Galaxy, I’m guessing I had a fissure for around ten years, but was told by Drs it’s was hemmoroids. I couldn’t imagine they would cause such severe pain and bleeding, but kept being told, No it’s hemmoroids.

I had a rectocele (posterior prolapse) and was so worried about the staring and the pain and bleeding, I got referred to a gynaecologist who operated and repaired the prolapse. It failed, and I was still having pain not so much bleeding, as I was on softeners.

During the year after the repair I got to feel very unwell, dizzy spells, near blackouts, and the tiredness was overwhelming. I went to my doctor and requested a blood test, and told her about the pain and sometimes bleeding. She suspected bowel cancer, and referred me to a colo rectal surgeon for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy

In the meantime I went to see him and said I thought Ihad a fissure, he examined me, and declared, no you haven’t got a fissure you wouldn’t have let me do that if you had.

Having had my spine fused and two knee replacement in the two years before, I’m pretty immune to pain.

He did the colonoscopy etc and it showed four ulcers, diverticulosis and guess what, I had a fissure.

He prescribed Diltiazam, which I couldn’t use- too painful, and Laxido every day. I was told on another forum that magnesium citrate was really good to keep you regular.

So I started on both, with not much hope, and a few days into this, I found it so easy to have a bm. This was over a year ago. I still take the Laxido and magnesium every single day. My fissure stopped bleeding and the pain from it also disappeared. I know if I start straining or have constipation I am likely to get it back. So I stick to this routine, and tell everyone I can on the forum about it. So far I have had feedback from four people, who it has helped enormously.

Long post, but you did ask🙂

• Posted

Hi Laura, I'm so sorry for reminding you of your tough times.. But I really appreciate that you shared your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.