bowel examination

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have come out of hospital today, spent 2 days in hospital as have had heavy bleeding from bowel my Doctor was sure that it was caused by having diverticulosis. A colonoscopy cannot be done as it has been tried 3 times before but could not get the tube up because of diverticulosis. What other way can they examine the bowel? I had a CT scan yesterday  that said the bleeding was not caused by diverticulosis. I am worried sick and in tears has anyone else had a similar problem?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pauline

Im so sorry to hear of your problem and realise how very worried you are.

What have they suggested to do next? I also had the Colonoscopy and because the diverticular was extensive like yours the doctor could not get very far into the bowel

It sounds as if a diverticular pouch had ruptured and it is a good idea to go on a very soft bland diet to allow it to heal.  I also had bleeding on one occasion and went into hospital. I was very dehydrated and put on a drip etc with antibiotics which cleared it up. This Diverticular problem causes a lot of stress which agravates the trouble even further, I can only try and help by saying "get plenty of rest and try to unwind by doing some relaxation" I can try and help with further advice about how to cope if you wish but we are all different and find our own "best" way eventually. Keep in touch. Best wishes Vera

• Posted

Thank you so much Vera, I was on the drip and antibiotics in hospital and have some to take now I am home. I feel so much more at ease after your reply. The blood loss was very heavy which frightened the heck out of me. I have been put on to very strong antibiotics and have to see my GP in 5 days time. Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day.

Thank you once again smile

• Posted

Hi Pauline. I,m sirry your having the bleeding from your bowel. I have diverticulitis and ulcerative colitis and my bleeding comes from the colitis, I also had the same problem as you with the doctor being unable to get the probe in. I had virtual colonoscopy where they pump water into the bowel and X-ray the bowel that way. Say your doctor if you can have the same. I hope your on medication for the bleed and you soon feel much better. 
  • Posted

Hi Pauline

I'm so very sorry that you're suffering so much. I've not experienced bleeding such as you 've described but I have had similar problems regarding the colonoscopies not working because of extensive diverticula and severe inflammation. In the past a barium enema x ray worked. Recently I've had a virtual CT colonoscopy which has worked. Don't know whether this is of any help. I do hope that you've got a good support network.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.