Bowel Issues and Anxiety

Posted , 1 user is following.

About 2.5 years ago (Sept 2019) I started experiencing having to go to the bathroom/having multiple bowel movements within the span of 1-2 hours in the morning. My normal "schedule" would be to go once not long after I woke up (maybe 10-15 minutes), but it has increased to 2-4 times in most circumstances. And when I feel the need to go, I need to go -- I can't "hold it" for more than a few minutes at best.

I've done stool samples to test calprotectin levels, but those came back relatively normal. A few weeks ago my doctor suggested trying a low FODMAP diet which hasn't really changed anything (granted, I haven't been able to fully follow that diet but I've been trying). I've also been taking 1-2 fiber pills in the morning for a few months now, but that doesn't seem to have made a big difference.

The biggest issue isn't necessarily having to go a few times (although it's annoying), but that my bowel movements seem to get exacerbated/accelerated by anxiety about not having access to a toilet. Some examples:

• When I need to commute I'd have to go to the bathroom (again) right before I leave to make sure I won't have to go en route.
  • And/or, while driving, I would constantly be thinking about whether I need to go and about how there's nowhere to stop along the way.
  • When my partner wakes up and has to use the bathroom in the morning, I might have the sudden need to go just from knowing that I can't go while he's showering.
  • There was one time when I was on a subway in the city and I felt like I needed to go, was considering ditching my friends and getting off the train to find somewhere, etc, but kept distracting myself to keep my mind off things. I didn't even end up needing to go at all -- but the anxiety of knowing I didn't have easy access to a bathroom made it truly feel like I needed to.

This has negatively affected several aspects in my life as I now need to plan my mornings around when I may need access to the bathroom. I'm not sure if this is more a bowel issue or an anxiety issue. Any insight would be appreciated!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.