Bowel issues only in the morning!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Evening all, bit of a strange question I think as I havent came accross my symtoms anywere on the internet but here goes;

24 year old, healthy male, decent bmi, eat regular healthy-ish meals, visit the gym etc etc.

Problem is since I started my new job, it involves quite a bit of driving around and here comes the issue. Every morning like clock work ill 'go' to the toilet and everything is normal, although after I have been I don't feel satisfied. I will then jump in the van and set off to work, lets say my first job is 1 hour away, here's the problem. In my head I am constantly thinking about were the next toilet is going to be as my stomach will start rumbling and then all of a sudden I will need to go to the toilet again, and by all of a sudden I mean painfully need to go, quite embaressing but yes sometimes I have had to go at the side of the road.

Generally after I have been again I am ok and feel satisfied, but surely this isnt normal. If one day I dont have to drive to my first job and I am 'stood up' first thing in the morning I am absolutly fine and will not need to go again.

Its hard to explain but the reason I am asking for advice is because if I ever have to go anywere, lets say with friends in a morning I am very paranoid I will 'poo myself' on the journey, I have seen a doctor who just advised imodium which to be fair is defeating the object and will just bung me up, I felt fobbed off by the doctor to be honest.

Could it be cycological, what can I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi mickeyshipley

I suggest you get up an hour or so earlier so that you can completely evacuate before you leave for work.......best wishes.....

• Posted

I have simlar problem and have talked to the doctor and have had tests and was told it is not IBM problem. It however does depend on what you ate for breakfast and the stress of worrying what if. I have to give myself enough time in the morning to have my first BM, eat breakfst and then give time for the food to start to digest. Also don't sit around after breakfast, do something like leave your bed to make, walk around your house, etc this should get things active and if you need to go it will help it and you and then you can go about your way. If you rush things in the morning then that is the stress problem and the food will just go right through you.Hope this is helpful as I fully understand your situation and have been through it many times, especially when travelling and it is not always convientent to find a batheroom. Good luck 

• Posted

First try to get up earlier in the morning so maybe you can get two bowel movements out before hitting the road.  Metamucil is good for both diarrhea and constipation (powdered fiber you mix with water).  Pepto Bismol is great for quick action and it doesn't constipate me either.  Don't drink coffee. Drink peppermint tea to calm your stomach.  Keep a food diary to see which foods are good/bad for you.  Take probiotics daily.  Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.