Bowel movement after Hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive been having very soft bowel movements today. Three times although shaped. i havent had an appetite so ive been eating very little. My surgery was just three weeks ago. wound seems to be healing nicely but I dont really feel so great ugh. Has anyone had problems not only with constipation but like mine soft stools. Im trying to be careful what I eat. please excuse typos its hard to type on this forum on a cell phone. .Would appreciate some advice and information. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise, although its been 18 months since my surgery, the thing I remember most was how irrregular my bowels were. The first week after surgery i didnt move my bowels for 8 days!! And i have always been an every day, sometimes twice a day person. gradually things got back to normal . I believe the anesthesia has a lot to do with this. Also I lost almost 13 pounds over several weeks. (Ive put it all back on though, boo hoo). I think the body burns calories healing

and your digestive system gets out if wack. But you'll probably be back to normal n a few weeks. I didnt sleep well for weeks and I was always tired and kind of depressed that i couldnt put on my socks or bend or anything for weeks. It all passed and i am doing fine. You will too.

• Posted

omg you people are so nice. Cecelia thank you for responding. it means so much to me. i think because I hadn't eaten much Sat I tried to make up for it by eating a disgusting frozen meal and i wound up with diarrhea for at least 3 hours back and forth that night..late. Today somewhat better but soft( sorry to talk about such a subject) Anyway thank you again and I wish you Good Health and Good

• Posted

i don't have a appetite just have to try to eat. pain meds do a number on bowels and inactivity plays a part in it. it will be 4 weeks Wednesday I still can't sleep good and get down alot.it takes time to heal and get back to normal . just be patient and you will be good. i had my right hip replaced three years ago it takes time and patience and everyone is different.

• Posted

Susan thank you SO much for responding. My surgery was three weeks and sometimes i feel like I got hit by a Mac Truck. im trying to eat small meals of nothing type food ( bland) because of my recent turmoil with the bowel movements. I am inpatient thats for sure. Do you mind if I ask you your advice once in awhile? On Wed I start PT outside of the home. Right now I feel very tired because like you Im not sleeping consistently...3 hours...awake...another 2..etc. Thanks again..and Good Luck to you !

• Posted

Initially I was a bit constipated, but when I came off my meds at about 3 weeks post op I found that every thing I ate just went straight through me. It all settled down after a few days. Hopefully your tummy will settle down soon.

Try not to worry too much about sleeping, but I know that's hard when you feel so tired and uncomfortable . I hated the nights, slept really badly, but it should all start to improve for you by 6 weeks. Hang on in there!

• Posted

Hi. Yes I had problems as well, but I already had IBS to start with. Main thing was I ate a lot of fruit and vegies and food high in calcium and protein for the healing of my bones etc. i also lost weight as well, the body uses up fat stores for energy you need to heal. And yes its a bummer I have put the weight back on after 9 mths. Sleep was all over the place after leaving hospital as they woke you early etc but when I got back home I had the same sleeping pattern for nearly 8 wks. I could finally get upstairs to my own bed after 6 wks so I managed to sleep in a bit longer and get to toilet easier to the bathroom next door. Anxiety plays a big part with IBS and stressing about not being able to get to the loo quick enough when your using a bloody walking frame dosent help!! It does take your body a little while to sort itself out, I really think its the body getting rid of the drugs and anesthesia that we have bombarded our bodies with. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you so much Judith and Linda. I really appreciate the info! i dont feel alone in this journey.

• Posted

Hi Denise, I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and know what you're talking about. 2 weeks in, I had terrible painful constipation, despite eating a range of fruit and vegetables and good balanced diet (even prunes, urgh). I realised it was most likely due to the painkillers (morphine at the time) and slowly tried to reduce the amount I was taking.

I was fortunate that the pain was reducing day by day and I may not not have been able to do that if the pain was still so severe.

Following that, I went the total other end of the spectrum, very bad diarrhea and couldn't be far from a toilet for about 24hrs, regardless of whatever I ate.

My advice would be to keep your metabolism going by eating a good balanced diet of food (eating regularly) and continue to evaluate your pain threshold daily to see if you can tolerate less painkillers in your body. They seem to cause too many side effects that probably aren't worth the experience.

Martyn

• Posted

Hello Denise, I too did PT for several weeks after surgery and i came to enjoy it. The first few weeks were a bit difficult but not painful. what I found gratifying was working with professionals who helped me realize my progress as i became stronger and gradually more flexible. It got me out of the house and able to talk with knowledgeable people who did not tire of giving me advise and guidance. I'm facing another surgery on the other hip now, and while I dont look forward to the weeks of recovery, I know whats coming and i dont feel,so fearful.

• Posted

Thank you so much Cecilia. Im on my way to my first outside rehab session now. I really appreciate the information you gave me. you are all so helpful. Thanks again!

• Posted

pain Killers such as Norco and other opiod pain killers. sooner you can ween off them the better. a stool soften will also help but you dont need that. So, enjoy the go as the Charmin Commercial says

• Posted

H Denise, Im just curious about how your rehab went. if you feel discouraged, remember that you will get stronger and stronger as the weeks go by. Cecelia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.