Bowel movement and pain after total hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm week 3 after a total abdominal hysterectomy bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. All the paperwork I have and advice given was to have high fibre diet and was given molaxole to take. I didn't have a bowel movement until 4 days after the operation. Since the second week, I have about 4 to 5 bowel movements a day. Even after having stopped molaxole. Is this normal? They usually occur soon after I've eaten, even if its a light snack.

I'm also getting more pain on my left side, starting near the hip area moving towards the belly button and to the navel. The pain on the right hand side is minimal.

Is this normal??

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello! curious if you ever figured out your lower left pain? i am 3 weeks out and experiencing the same thing and no one can figure out the issue.

thanks for any info!!

• Posted

Curious as well if either one of you, or anyone else. still has the same issues with left side pelvic pain shortly before a bowel movement? Im just a little over 3 months out since my radical hysterectomy and everyday before i am ready to have a movement, no matter how much fiber, or soft food i eat, I get tremendous pain in my left lower side of my bowels.

Interested in hearing about if this goes away in time.

• Posted

Hi Brittany, I thought I would add a comment as there rarely seems to be anyone replying on this forum anymore. I had a TAH with BSO 12 months ago and I had terrible pain with my bowels for about 5 months, lots of constipation then episodes of diarrhoea and a general sense of things being unsettled. For me it did eventually settle down, my Dr said it was where things need to resettle, the bowel gets a bit manhandled during such a large surgery. You've had a radical, like me, so we've had an awful lot removed. I'm still not 100% after a year, still have swelling and my bowels are working much better but I'm finding that my stomach is much more sensitive than it was before the surgery and I have to watch what I eat. I hope things settle down for you, I'm sure they will. There's so little information about the REAL recovery times from this surgery, we're told 6 to 8 weeks then away you go back to normal, the reality is that recovery can be far, far longer than that. When people find out you've had major surgery it's all "oh my, are you ok", as soon as they find out its a hysterectomy its all shrugged shoulders and "oh, is that all". One more way that women's health and pain is undervalued! Keep in touch and I hope you start to feel better soon. Sorry for the rant. Lisa xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.