Bowel movements 5 weeks post op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I'm now 5 wks post op and still seem to be having bowel issues so I just wondered if anyone experienced this and how long it took to sort out?

My bowel movements seem to have slowed right down and in order to get them into action I'm having to take senokot each time, drink coffee or prune juice etc. This is happening every 3/4 days. I never used to be frequent in that I didn't have daily movement but at least every other day.

Just worried something might be wrong inside now and I'll need senokot forever!! Or is it still very much in the settling down period?

I also get a full feeling in my butt low down which is odd?!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're still having a rough time!

My best advice is call your doctor, they're in the best position to give advice and it's better to get checked then leave it and allow things to continue or get worse.

In the meantime if you can't see your doctor immediately...lactulose is the only thing that helps me. I don't have the fullness feeling but I'm almost six weeks post op and I do still get what feels like pressure but I have bowel issues anyway.

Hope you get it sorted and feel better very soon x

• Posted

Thanks Josy. Well I had a big glass of prune juice at breakie and I've had movement so I think I'll just keep drinking a glass each morning for the next few days and see if it helps.

I'm going to call the docs tom anyway to chat through a few things so will mention it. It's still early days so I expect everything still needs to adjust. At least I am going albeit with a bit of help!

Hope you're doing ok?

• Posted

Hats off to you for sticking with Prune juice, I drank it warm with lactulose in for about a week out of sheer desperation... I don't miss it at all!

I think it's all a huge shock to our bodies and it takes time to adjust and rebalance. It's definitely been a learning curve!

I'm doing ok, it's frustratingly slow recovery but we'll all get there!

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean Josy, it is a learning curve and slow recovery.

I quite like the flavour of the prune juice 😂but wouldn't like it with lactulose too! Senokot tends to work well but can take a few days.

I'm now dealing with a boil just below my incision from an ingrown hair! One thing after another....

Cannot believe it's 5wks today since my op. Time flies.

• Posted

Hi - Probably asking the obvious but are you taking any kind of pain killers? I get bunged up with any type of painkiller - even paracetamol - so if you are, it could be the cause.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Shani

• Posted

Not that frequently anymore and just paracetamol if I do. I probably take two once a day if that now.
  • Posted

I was prescribed Laxido which helped. I know I can't take Lacrulose or any of the fibre based remedies. 

• Posted

Hi there!

Not post hysterectomy - but kinda up on laxatives eek as I have bowel issues with fibroids! I am taking laxido as Thesheen is doing - I am on 1-2 satchets per day. They are supposed to be the least likely to upset your bowel (or at least that's what my doc said to me). They work - taste horrible, but do the job. I have actually started to look at fibre content in everything now - and try to make sure I get 25grms of it daily as well as drinking 4 pints of water. It does help to a degree - but my bowel is being pinched!  I was also given dulcolax - which you can buy at the chemist - but I was given for when I had real problems - I have only used twice - but won't anyone - as they literally made me 'explode' - and I was unable to move far from a toilet for at least 4 hours! They say gentle predictable relief - I'd say tablet form colonic! Hope you get things moving smoothly soon!

• Posted

Hi

I actually felt when I had to go to the bathroom I thought I would need to pee and than I would do a number 2. What really helped me to get back on track was lots of fiber and stool softener. Now I am 4 almost 4 weeks post op and everything seems to be normal. They also tell you to drink a lot of water and keep hydrated

• Posted

I had same issue's'...two separate issues...the full feeling after bowel movement was termed intertussal ie the lining of the rectum had detatched and was moving down with the waste matter and preventing the bowel from completely emptying.  This intertussal detatchment  has 3 levels the first two can be corrected with contraction exercises - elevating your pelvis - I even put a pillow under my bottom when sleeping - keep your faceal matter soft and do not push.  if you look at your bowel movements if they are long and thin it confirms the rectum is slightly blocked. 

infrequent bowel movements or no bowel movements could be from nerve damage eg vagus nerve and takes time and patience.  I went on the Budwig cottage cheese and flax oil meal once a day...google Joanna budwig and cut out wheat and gluten to try and reduct inflammation to lining of bowels...Edgar cayce castor oil packs to abdomen is also healing...Enos salts is good alternative for bowel movements with movocol....yogi deep breathing heals the nervous system....and investigate tissue salts and B12 that you melt in your mouth because your intestine will not be absorping food nutrients properly and that can lead to other problems.....try and keep away from pharmaceuticals and investigate natural therapies.....have patience and best wishes 

• Posted

and of course if you need a pain killer take it....and keep in communication with your doctor - that goes without saying....but your own determination and self care will be your greatest asset
    • Posted

Thanks all. For some reason I've only just received your email notifications?!

Anyhow my bowels seem to be back on track now so that's good👍Aided by a bit of coffee every now and then!

Appreciate all of your advice 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.