Bowel movements after surgeries.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm new to this site. Two years ago my gallbladder was removed and five years ago I had emergency extended right hemicolectomy surgery for bowel cancer. I have had worsening bowel movements since the bowel cancer surgery and I think even worse since the gallbladder was removed. I am told to expect this, it's just the way it is! But maybe not? I have also just finished radiotherapy for prostate cancer which affects the plumbing so to speak, but that is meant to improve. The radiotherapy finished at the beginning of February. Any advice, diet or otherwise? I have been told that I can eat anything, but I'm now not so sure about that...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you have loose bowels? I had my gallbladder removed. I cannot eat anything with fat. I think, low fat, lean meats, not a lot of pork or beef, it does not digest very well. a lot of fresh veggies, green leafy,fruits, some grains, low fat dairy, no sugar, especially chocolate. Dont eat fruit with meals, only on empty stomach, maybe between meals. Eat veggies and meat, without carbs, or carbs and veggies without meat. combinations make a difference. Eat veggies raw, if you can tolerate them, if not steamed until just tender. eat fermented foods, like yogurt. very little cheese. eat small meals, every 2-3 hours. Chew your food well Dont eat after around 6pm . Hope this helps. Good luck, I will keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

I am in the same boat, after mu gallbladder removal a year later I am in the same boat and follow pretty much what you eat, meat is a no no, likewise cheese and chocolate.

Try a good probiotics as they do help, also I drink kefir.

best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl and Joanna. My feeling is that because I now have a short bowel, the stuff behind the sometimes solid first morning bm is not there long enough to have moisture removed so it is generally loose, as is the third one! I can't make appts until the pm for that reason. Also, as the bile isn't stored in the gall bladder, it makes things more unpleasant as it goes straight into the bowel. That's my theory anyway. i used to be a big meat eater but now prefer pasta etc. I take a fibre supplement called Konsyl D. Unfortunatley I have a sweet tooth and eat far too much chocolate and ice cream daily. I love cheese too! BUT, I don't drink alcohol, so that's a plus. I eat about 7 pm. So, there are some things I could change. Thank you both again. Best wishes. John.

• Posted

Hi John, i also had gallbladder removal 2 years ago and i had an emergency right hemi colectomy several years ago. I think that Joanna and Cheryl have given you some excellent advice particularly in relation to eating fairly small amounts at regular intervals and not eating your last meal too late in the day. I've found that high fat foods particularly cake, crisps and ice cream will give me 'problems' the next day. The worst food for me is definitely eggs although I've found it's only the egg yolks, egg white are ok, so if you eat a lot of eggs you could maybe try eliminating them. i also find my system gets worse if i eat white bread, pasta or any foods containing white flour. Like you i also have a sweet tooth. I'll least chocolate but know that I'll suffer for it the next day. i never seem to have any problems with spicy foods. I'm presently trying to eat lots of fruit and veg, beans and lentils, some chicken and turkey but i avoid red meat and deep fried food and i know that cheese is a bad food for me. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Posted

Joanna, I've been thinking about whether I should take probiotics and I'd be really interested to hear what difference you think they make and what kind you take.

• Posted

I think they help my gut which has not been good at for the last 3 years has been badly affected by the probs with my gb. If I go for weeks without them I get alot more wind and bloating, subsrquently nasty stools, however sticking to the strict diet is the key xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.