Bowel movment and sleep routine,help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello im a 19 yearl old male. For the last five years i have had a probelm that has severly ruined the quality of my life.It first started after the end of summer holidays five years ago, when school began. Everyday at school i use to have abdominal pain followed by an urgancey to go to the toilet for a bowel movement.This ussualy happend in the mornings 8am-11am. At first i was confused as to what the problem seemed to be. No matter how much i tried to empty my self before going to school i would find my self in the same situatuon.Then i serched online to reserch and after visiting countless doctors and doing all sorts of tests such as colonoscopy, blood tests, stool test etc the doctors and i came to the conclusion that it was due irratable bowel syndrom.

But recently i think that the problem could be closely related to my sleep. I only get the pain if i do not get enough sleep (8-9 hours) and if i do sleep without waking up in the morning then there seems to be no pain. But if i wake up early in the morning 6 am, there is no urancy but i force myself for a bowel movement so to prepare myself for college. But in college the bowel urgancy comes even though i had emptied myself and i have to go to the toilet again. It seems like if i wake up early my bowel movements come between 8-11 am but if i stay asleep and wake up i ussualy dont requiere to go to the toilet and even if i do it is normal as opposed to the other.

Anybody know what to do? I have tried to sleep early 8 pm to get sleep which sometimes solves the problem but i want a cure to this thing.

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think that it is the amount of sleep you get that stops the need for a bowel movement, I think it is because you sleep past the feeling of it so you don't notice.Have you tried changing the time you eat?, this can have a difference to the general time that you need to go,it might take a few days to get your body in the new rhythm but try it for a week.Also I would keep up with trying to go at the time you most prefer this will work but it might take a week or so,good luck I hope you find the solution.

• Posted

With IBS, you should try to get a good sleep routine by going to bed at the same time.  Try to avoid late nights.Sometimes lack of sleep can make your symptoms.worse. Try eating at regular intervals and having smaller portions. 
  • Posted

That's reallly complicated,

because as such a young person you want to go out, hang out, meet friends, not have to go to bed at 8pm when you don't have to rise at 4am .... you don't have a baby where you better go to bed early too and get woken 10 times anyway. You should be worry free of bowel movements like this and enjoy even late nights.

That really made me feel sorry.

Just to make sure, please have a stool calprotectin test,

if it was available where you are. It is not that expensive if you had to pay privately if you had to and gives a good clue. Maybe it has been done already since you have been through the basics.

I also would highly recommend to participate in something 'relaxing', which is as a bloke a bit uncomfortable to join eg a yoga class. ;-)

I also would try probiotics on a daily basis

and as you do already: sit down on the toilet for the wished time.

That you can force yourself to a bowel movement sounds almost a bit too harsh. Let it come if it comes, but if not, then rather not, because you noticed: it doesn't make a difference.

Apparently timing can be trained by sitting down on toilet at certain time. But also it depends when you eat and what your bowel transit time is, that's true.

Maybe you can write down when you eat and when you go.

Maybe you can make some correlation there, that would be helpful. (we tend to forget even we think we can remember, writing down the only option to remember e.g. a week or two)

Do you eat something in the evening or morning, that works like a laxative? (milk- lactose, apples, pears - fructose, chewing gum/sugar free sugar or drinks -sorbitol)

Stress of course always will get the better of you when your bowels are 'just' sensitive or even the stress of 'oh, I hope I don't get it today'. On the other hand it set on prior you were 'fearing' it, so this explanation does not always fullfill one, but it can become a catch22.

Wishing you all the best because you should be able to enjoy a free life and go out with friends or enjoy a birthday party without regrets!

• Posted

Go see a naturopath, ive been having stomach pain for a year doctors couldnt find anything. Its been 2 weeks since I seen a naturopath and its improved so much almost gone. He gave me a mix or herbal drops and minerals smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.