Bowel perforated and acute diverticulitis.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i have been reading all of these stories over the last few weeks trying to get some comfort from others suffering with this horrible disease.

im 29 years old and 4 weeks ago out of the blue i started getting sharp lower left stomach pain whilst working.. at this point it was bearable but i was aware it was very different to stomach pain in the past, the next day i went to see my GP and they advised me i could have a urine infection and gave me anti biotics.

by thursday i was hunched over in the worst pain i had ever experienced in my life with lower back pain and lower left stomach pain. i needed to go to the emergency department so off i headed.

after an x-ray i was shocked when the doctor told me i have a perforation in my sigmoid colon! after a Ct scan they told me it had nearly healed over since it had happened. i had a 4 day stay on iv antibiotics and liquid diet.. the pain was awful even morphine wouldnt touch it, things got better the pain almost went completely, by the time i was discharged with a 7 day oral course i felt back to normal had 2 weeks off work.

then bang a week on the pain returns i was inflamed again. not going to lie i hadnt done much research and assumed i could get back to eating a balanced diet, wow how wrong i was, i feel like if this happens again i wouldnt be able to handle the pain again, this is day 1 of the pain subsiding, i havent eaten for 4 days and im so scared to eat again incase the pain returns 😦 what do you guys usually eat after ? i was going to try some mash potato but im not sure if i can brave it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear about all your troubles , it sounds like you have been through a lot, I have seen posts by people on here saying they have clear beef broth, I personal stuck to bland things like a cheese sandwich, I have had diverticulitis for 7 years , in between flare ups I'm fine but when I have a flare its nasty I sometimes end up on hospital , they also say the brat diet to slow down diarrhoea, which is bananas, apple sauce , brown toast and rice . hope this helps you a bit x

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply.. its certainly been a journey, still cant get my head around it.

i had some chicken soup and that seems to have gone down ok for now.

ive only ever had the pain with the perforation.. is it still chronic pain to have a regular flare up without it do you think ? just trying to gauge the sort of pain to expect with a regular flare up ?

• Posted

I have had dirverticulitus for about 7 years im my 70s. Also have IBS get terrible diarrhea. Under consultant for it. Had colonoscopy's and showed up very little diiverticulitus but I get alot of pain. Some people don't lucky them never been given offered antibiotics when I had flare ups. I don't know why its ridiculous now I can see you can think my doctor likes make me suffer for weeks. Or end up in hospital. Like 3 days plus lower back ache couldn't sit down or move I recently have been getting lower back ache on the right down my leg and coxix. Was wonering if had abcess high up in colon but my blood came back normal. I havnt eaten for two days because scared will get diarrhea and my stomach doesn't hurt. Im very tired. They say dirverticulitus is caused by constipation intestine stretches forms bulges through straining but I never suffered from that all my life constipation . I now take immodium several times a day often 8 its getting unbeliavable stupid Sometimes doesn't stop diarrhea just comes back if I stop taking think Im safe from it Then doctors go on about overflow your really constipated so feace's go past blockage as diarrhea. Given up I stick to diet but everything I eat upsets me I havn't celiac desease or I know. not gluten intolerant At moment on Buscapan. Gaviscon immodium sometimes as I say 8 a day feel safe stop it diarrhea back in a day its doing nothing. I had shingles months ago seems had constant on off diarrhea since then. I had my gallbladder out in 1992 and consultant says. my bile has nowhere to go and as you get older can become worse the bile going into your stomach causing diarrhea.and mucus. Have to eat more fibre. Then they say no to much fibre. Really gets me depressed even talking about it. Just wish a consultant would sort It out and can eat. drink all things I use to. Now wondering to pay for tests see if allergic to certain foods drink.

• Posted

Hope you got my private reply and are now feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.