Bowel problems post surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had a bladder and bowel prolapse repair done laparoscopically 8 weeks ago along with pelvic floor repair. Lost a lot if blood during surgery and needed a transfusion then a week later I was re admitted with sepsis. All this has no doubt delayed my recovery and my consultant hasn't ok'd me to go back to work yet. I feel well (still tired) but have real problems opening my bowels. I feel the need to go but my muscles don't seem to want to push. I take laxido every day so I'm not constipated. I've looked up better ways to position myself to help and doing the mooo ooo muscles (push out sides saying moo then push out tummy saying ooo) and had limited success with that. Is this a result of the pelvic floor muscles? Anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm pleased you aren't returning to work yet because even without all the added problems you have had it's probably just too early. Regarding your bowels have you tried putting your feet up on a small stool? That sometimes helps the bowel to evacuate the stool.

• Posted

Yes I've tried that but I just can't seem to feel the muscles working and I don't want to strain and end up undoing the consultants good work. I'm not quite splinting but do feel like I need to hold my undercarriage when pushing and this seems to help once I get going. Reading through all these posts I'm really surprised by the recovery time as I was initially told 6-8 weeks and have been signed off work now for 10. One of my scars is still really tender too and hyper sensitive.

• Posted

Hi I'm five weeks post op posterior repair and feel exactly the same when emptying my bowels, it seems ok on 'journey' then it seems like my muscles stop working to actually push the last bit and then I don't go! Similar sort of symptoms with urine flow aswell. Am going to mention it to consultant at my post op check next week but she did say before surgery it can affect toileting for months! I'm taking stool softeners, I assume it's recovery to area, nerve recovery etc

• Posted

I am 4 months post op for recto/entero/cytocele laparoscopic repair. I have the same problem sometimes. It feels like the muscles give up just as you need to evacuate the faeces, really depressing as I have never had a problem with a bm before the op. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes I feel like I have a cowpat stuck to my bum, other times all works well.

sorry to be graphic but that is how it is!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.