Bowel problems post TAH.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had TAH and BSO nearly 3 months ago, seems like ages ago now ! But still not recovered and still off work. Am still having bowel troubles when feel like need to go but can't. Have been on fibrogel since op and gp now put me on movicol but not helped. Has made stools much softer but still get pressure feeling but can't go. Seem in and out of bathroom and not able to go. I am thinking I may have rectocele , which is really bothering me as feels like now just got another problem to worry about. But have seen gp twice since op and don't seem that bothered. Not sure what else to try, I just feel like my bowels given up working all together! Any advice welcomed. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had the same op nearly 4weeks ago and i an suffering.I didn't think i would as i suffer from I BS.Tried Movicol as i read so many good reports about it but wasn'effective.Pharamist told me that Fibrogel and Movicol are the same thing.Tried Dulcoease but now on Dulcolax which is helping more.I only take one tablet and have only taken them for a couple of nights.Don't like to take them if i am going out next morning.Pharamist told me that they are quicker reacting but it still took about 11hrs.It can be very uncomfortable and i have read that it can take a few months to get back to normal.I am seeing my consultant in 2 months so i will mention this then.

Good luck

xxx

• Posted

Meant to say 2 weeks not 2 months.
    • Posted

Well it has taken a week for the moviolas to have effect so today have had a really loose stomach and rushing for toilet. Can't win! 
    • Posted

Sorry. Meant to say movicol but this predictive text stuff makes you end up saying all sorts of weird things! 
  • Posted

Have you tried prune juice (Sunsweet version)...? A good glass of it at night time on an empty stomac before bed can work bowels overnight & loosen stool plus plenty of water during the day & fruit such as grapes or tin of prunes in natural juice can also work - I found them great...
  • Posted

I had my op nine weeks ago.  Thought things had settled down but now have had the bowel problem again this week.  I took Dulcolax before but have now changed to Dulcoease which seems to be working much better.  My husband is a pharmacist and says they are better.  
  • Posted

I m 4 wks post op and still having problems, I tried dulcolax and it was vile, made me feel like I got a bad tummy. I m back to taking lactulose which is what the hospital gave me, it softens everything up and then helps me to go. Once it's worked I feel loads better. Yrs sounds like it's more complex as you just can't pass anything. Hope you get sorted soon as I know it makes you feel so awful down there ( a feeling of being full and everything backing up inside you) 😓
  • Posted

Have you been taking opiates for pain? I was having huge problems with my bowels, which eventually resulted in a home visit from the GP. Much improved since trying to get myself off codeine. The pain from not being able to go was worse than the pain from the surgery.
    • Posted

Hi, no not taken opiates since second week post op, only paracetamol if needed. Think it's just me! 
  • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.  I researched quite a bit before my hysterectomy as I knew my bladder and bowel were going to be repositioned (everything had gone left and then south, the joys of getting older!) so what I am going to suggestion will sound very strange, but a wonderful person on this site gave it to me, and I must admit hubby and I roared with laughter at the time lol(he loves toilet jokes) but it has been a godsend to me since the op and I have suffered no pain with bowel toileting at all!  

First you have a raised platform, a large box, basket or book will do, to put your feet on, you rest your forearms on your thighs, knees should be higher than your thighs, lean forwards and rock backwards and forwards at the same time - now wait for it - you moo very slowly as you rock, just relax and keep mooing, (you had better warn your household if you do it loudly!).  It really works, the slow mooing action releases your diaphragm, just stay as relaxed as possible and all should be well.

Sorry if I was a bit too graphic, tried to put it as delicately as possible. 

Happy Toileting 

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Sorry, had to laugh! But yes I had heard of that one and tried the mooing! It is a strange tip but as you say it has worked. I have found the movicol now taking effect so now have really loose stomach again and spending ages in bathroom. Nightmare! 
    • Posted

Hi Mumbolian

Don't apologise for laughing, we have had a ball enjoying my bowel journey!  The movicol will settle down, I have to take it everyday because I suffer with diverticulitis, and after the first couple of weeks it is now very gentle on my system.  Also our inners have had a real battering with the surgery so it will take a while for everything to settle down.  Hope you feel much better soon.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks for replies ladies, haven't answered all but at least not the only one suffering. Movicol is starting to work but given me bad gas and gurgling stomach etc. will see what happens , just a pain cos otherwise feel ok, apart from still feeling tired a lot .,
    • Posted

Glad you are getting things moving.

I say it is like hitting the jackpot !

Take care

xxx

• Posted

Hi Mumbolian..Oh my god..its three thirty seven in the morning and once again im awake and uncomfortable. Im six months TAH post op and could have written your blog verbatim. Ive been back to my gp so many times asking for a scan. They too seem unfased and say my healing time is normal. I have left sided abdominal pain where my left ovary would have been and dont know if this is exacerbate by my bowel. Most of the time my husband sleeps in our spare room cos I either wake about three due to excessive gas or hot sweats. Im still off work as I teach youbg children and I just know I cannot manage all that my job entails. My boss has been brilliant but sgain I feel awful. At seven weeks ost op I had to have emergency eye surgery which entailed total immobility lying still onyour stomach so I was taking codeine. ..then a few weeks later I guess cis of being so immobile my back played up and I agsin resorted to codeine. All of this doesnt help I know but you begin to wonder if your bowels will ever be right. I had got to the point when I thought it was only me and I must be going mad. Thank you so much for posting this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.