Bowel resection

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a bowel resection in may, iliostomy for 3 months, reversal in August. everything was going well apart from iron problems and a few niggles. Bowel function was going really well until recently, when i have been experiencing leakage. and frequency,so disappointing . i cant seem to fully empty my bowel, and this has just started. any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, long time no talk! I'm a fellow surgery person from 2018, had my sigmoid removed in July. I'm also starting to see these issues..Although still I'm much healthier than I was prior..So I am thankful for that..I guess I have come to terms with the fact diet will always be an issue for me. I've had to give up my much loved coffee..Also I try to stay away from fried, over processed food..I take hot epson salt and baking soda baths and rub coconut oil around the area..seems to help a little. I think I know also that I need to increase liquids, but I also try not to drink a lot while eating..I have considered trying a reset..maybe a total cleanout, then a week of the no to low residue crawl..and then slowly introduce foods to see if some work better than others or if spacing food out and separating to liquids works better..Some people swear by hot water with lemon and sea salt in the mornings..I just don't have a lot of time to wait for a BM though..have to head to work..I feel your pain..It's tough..I also am not sure any of this is bad for someone to do without a sigmoid..So I need to do some research..You would think it would be easier now that I'm feeling betTer to problem solve..but it's not!

• Posted

Good morning! I have said in the past that learning how to recover is the hardest! I had my surgery 4/2018. It was done robotically. I thought surgery was easy in comparison to previous surgeries. BUT recovery has been a journey. I had diarrhea in the beginning where I was afraid to eat or drink outside! I did not return to normal in 3 weeks! So I started on a multi vitamin, probiotic and fiber by my DR. I was on rec doses and my family Dr increased the fiber to double. THAT did solve the diarrhea. But I CONTINUED with pain all over the abd. I would be nauseous and have terrible back pain. I was told in July to give it more time! Very difficult time for me esp since I followed every direction to the tee. Anyway I ended up stopping the multivit and proboitic prior to Thanksgiving as I was so sick again! I have also cut back on the fiber 1 tsp every other day. Just enough to add bulk to stools.

So in my case it was the meds all along! I just had a CT scan to prove everything was ok and it was. I would start with are you eating and drinking enough? Walk after each meal. The fiber is a tough balance! Dont be hard on yourself! Give it 6-12 months for recovery! Best of luck in your journey.

In an afterthought it may be related to the amt of bowel removed! Mine was about 18 inches...sigmoid and descending colon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.